Did I Make a Mistake in Getting Grommets Inserted to Relieve ETD?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MarthKoopa, Mar 3, 2022.

1. MarthKoopa

MarthKoopa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I've had ETD for a long time now, and wanted to try treating it hoping that it would also alleviate the tinnitus and minor hearing loss I've had with it. ENT suggested grommets.

But the grommets I've just had inserted have only served to completely muffle my hearing and cause a lot of pain and discomfort and not fix the ETD at all.

I'm scared and don't know where else to questions about this, because my ENT doesn't seem to care and just wants me to wait several months for it to fix itself.

Is it normal for the first day to be this bad? Will my hearing ever go back to where it was or did it completely destroy my eardrums, and possibly damage my synapses and hair cells some more with how incredibly LOUD the suction was?

Does the ETD take time to fix? Because there hasn't been any change in that

Any opinions, experiences, and advice would help a lot.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      When I got tinnitus initially I had some associated ETD or so I thought from the cracking noise I heard when I swallowed. The ENT I saw did a ton of tests, many of which were not actionable, so when he proposed grommets I became suspicious. I went to a second ENT who put a camera through my nose and told me my Eustachian tubes were ok and grommets were useless.

In any case they should be expelled after a while and the eardrum should seal so it's just a matter of waiting I guess. The grommets should let air pass through the eardrum and equalize pressure with the middle ear.

Grommets can become blocked from infection e.g. swimming without ear plugs or sinusitis. A blocked grommet makes the ear feel dull and the hearing poor. So make sure the grommets are not blocked by fluid or wax. Your ENT or even GP can tell with an otoscopy. You could also get a second opinion from another ENT, preferably an otologist with experience in ETD. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Grommets muffle hearing because it is like having a hole in your eardrum, so sounds are not perceived so crisp.

This said, grommets are usually advised for people who get lots of fluid inside the eardrum that needs to be drained.

ENTs advise to wear grommets for about a year. Grommets may fall by themselves and the eardrum will close by itself. They can also be removed by the ENT with or without anesthesia (it is painful). After they are removed, the eardrum normally closes by itself.

Grommets in theory are NOT advised in case of hyperacusis. Do a Google search about this...

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MarthKoopa

MarthKoopa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have now developed pulsatile tinnitus from this and am having a complete mental breakdown.

How is one supposed to sleep when a ghost is puffing air into my ears constantly?

• Hug Hug x 2
    5. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      With time it hopefully recedes. Just have to wait unfortunately, but you should be in a better place with time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Angel D

Angel D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid 19
      How are you now?

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      In my opinion, grommets are a bad idea unless your eardrum bursts due to a LOT of wax...

If you have grommets inserted and they are not draining wax and / or you do not notice any major improvement to your ETD, then grommets are doing nothing... and will not fix anything, only cause further trouble.

Plus when grommets are removed and the eardrum closes again the world will sound LOUD, precisely because your hearing has been muffled while grommets were inserted.

Actually there is literature saying that grommets can cause or exacerbate hyperacusis.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MarthKoopa

MarthKoopa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Definitely some permanent hearing loss from the microsuction. I've never struggled this much with speech in real life before, but it's really bad now. So much regret letting them do that.

Pulsatile tinnitus may be gone. I haven't noticed it for a while.

Tinnitus is closer to what it used to be, tolerable enough.

Still no improvement in the ETD.

Next appointment is soon so I'll see if I can get these taken out early.
      Oh for sure.

Can't wait to get these things out and see if I can at least get back to where I was before.

• Like Like x 1
    9. hopefuldede

hopefuldede Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cold
      • Like Like x 1