Did I Mess Up by Letting Water Shoot Directly Into My Ears from the Shower Head?

Discussion in 'Support' started by whatdidyousay, May 9, 2020.

1. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      Summary: Three days ago, I let water 'shoot' directly into my ears from the shower head above me while taking a shower.

I've been having some sniffles and nasal drip lately. And every now and then, I probably get dumb ideas to 'clean' my ears. One of the things I recall reading was to "tilt your head" while in the shower. I'm not the smartest guy so I may have interpreted it wrong. I basically just tilted my head and let the shower water 'shoot' directly downward into the ear, and then as I felt it fill with water, I tilted it the other day to let the water drain out of my ears. And then I turned to the side and did the same with the other ear. As mentioned in the summary, I just measured it, and my ear was roughly a foot below the shower head, and it was streaming at regular force.

Should I be worried about damage, further tinnitus, or ear infection(s)? Is the pressure from the water damaging?

It 'seems' like my ears may be a little more clogged or ringing a bit more, but I'm really not sure. I also have some over-the-counter (non-prescription) Hyland's earache drops, but my ears don't hurt, so I'm not sure if I should even use them.

2. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Try not to worry about it but don't do it again.
      It won't.

3. Brooklyn NY

Brooklyn NY Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 5, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably pepto bismo and aspercreme
      Hi, I’ve had tinnitus from medications since 2017. From my personal experience I’ve never caused any additional problems with my ears in the shower. I’m usually the nervous type with my tinnitus, worrying over most situations. However, I’m guessing that unless you have a perforated ear drum, you can’t damage them with water. Nerves and worrying tend to temporarily increase ringing, so it could be that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Yeah... seriously, don't do this. Good chance any damage will still heal, but this is quite dangerous for your eardrums.

If you ever need to clean your ears, use a safe tool like described in this post.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you Were to get a spike, you would KNOW. Having said this, sometimes the spikes happen the next morning.

I am pretty sure that you will end up being ok (even if you get a spike, most spikes are temporary). But it make sense to protect your ears from noise when you can, so you might want to be a little more careful next time.

6. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      A shower blast into your ear can be pretty loud. If you want to clean your ears under the shower aim it under a single stream. I doubt any permanent damage has been done if you moved your ear fast, but do avoid having the whole stream on your ear.

7. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I personally wouldn't worry about it.

8. johnsole65
      No Mood

johnsole65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not sure I agree with what others are saying regarding this.

It is recommended to clean your ears by ENTs with water and soap in this way, just dont let it stream for to long.

I doubt we would have evolved such a complex organ without some sort of protection against water getting in our ears like that.

9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Indeed. If only there was a membrane separating the middle ear from the outer ear.

10. martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      The night I got tinnitus, I flushed my ears with hot water from the showerhead for probably too much time. I was desperate to get the ringing to stop. However I did not experience any sort of spike and my tinnitus improved after two monthes, though it was unrelated.
      I don't think what you have done will cause any lasting damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. lifelong student

lifelong student Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      water streaming from the shower
      I also directed the water stream from the shower into both ears in October 2023. My right ear still feels the way it does when there's water in it after swimming, but it doesn't clear. When I pinch my nose to do the Valsalva, it sounds like bubbles are popping. Sometimes I wake up and that ear seems blocked.

It hasn't seemed to affect my balance, but it has affected my hearing. The ENT told me the eardrum is not perforated, and there is no impacted earwax. The hearing test showed that my right ear tracks my left ear at slightly lower levels. I did a YouTube hearing test where they play different frequencies, and the right ear definitely doesn't have the same range as the left ear.

When I drive down the hill from our house, my right ear pops. There is no pain, just an easy equalization (there is about a 200' difference in elevation).

Is it possible I stretched my ear drum with the shower stream? Is this going to heal? It's been five months.