Did You Lose Hearing as a Result from Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Juan, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I was wondering if, in the long run, other people have lost hearing as a result of one-off noise exposures combined with hyperacusis. I have lost hearing, in terms of a lower audiometric test and also on the quality of the sounds I perceive (lower quality) and discrimination of speech with background noise (harder to understand).

Actually, there is an audiometric test done on speakers, which consist of one speaker playing white noise and another speaker playing words that are read aloud. Well, I was surprised to miss words on one of my ears (ironically the one I though was my best ear)... the other was fine. So obviouly there is a problem to understand speech with background noise.

Any other experiences about this?

2. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Hey, if anything, hyperacusis is caused by hearing loss (even by slight "hidden" hearing loss), not the other way around. Hyperacusis can have other causes too, but hearing loss is a big suspect most of the time.

Beyond hyperacusis and other symptoms, some people (like me) will lose hearing a lot faster than the average person when facing the same type / amount of noise.

For me, it's not because you have H that you'll lose hearing quickly / easily, it's because you were prone to lose hearing and get symptoms like H in the first place. But many people with H won't have more visible hearing loss than the rest of the population, even if facing painful noises. See, it's difficult to identify patterns as there are so many different cases... H would need a lot more attention from the scientific community to be better understood.

Finally, you may have trouble understanding speech on one "good" ear : here again, hidden hearing loss is playing a role. You can hear well the volume (your hair cells are fine or mostly fine) but some nerves (synapses) in your ear are damaged and can't interpret well this signal, especially with background noise. At least that's one of the theories.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      So in your case you think hidden hearing loss is progressive and hyperacusis is one of a set of symptoms..

4. Horrorpopz

Horrorpopz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure/meds/who knows?
      Hey man you have had it longer than me, I have a preeeeetty bad case of hyperacusis and never felt any hearing loss or even suspected...

Never made an audiogram tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      Yes for hyperacisis. I have had a weakness in my auditory system since I was born, and it got worse over time, with different symptoms.

Also in my case I have more than hidden hearing loss, since I have a 40 to 70dB loss on the regular audiometric test (both ears, high frequencies being the most damaged). But most people with hyperacusis I talked to show a normal audiometric test, which gives them better chances to get better.

Hearing loss + severe hyperacusis + loud tinnitus isn't the funniest thing, but I stopped looking for solutions after hearing aids just made the symptoms worse :whistle:

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      For me the audiogram is normal in conversational frequencies, and there is a bit of hearing loss (around 40 dB) in the high frequencies (6 kHz, and 8 kHz).

I started noticing it harder to understand people and speech in noise when my audiogram dropped to the area of 25 dB around 3 kHz, and 4 kHz. I think those must be important frequencies to pick up words in noise and understanding the voices in higher frequencies, like women and kids...

Anyway, my ENT said something worrying... basically with my audiometric test I should be fine hearing in most situations, so if I am not, then there must something else, but no one knows what it is. It could be sinapsis maybe, I dont know...

I just regret not having studied more or learnt a third language before my hearing got worse...

7. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      If you want to learn another language, do it please. You will find ways to compensate for your hearing loss, like lipreading. The more you wait, the more difficult it will be (like always with languages anyway) !

Hyperacusis may prevent us from doing a lot of things, but we can still find joy in a lot of other things.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      You are right. I should give it a go, at least try.