Disney World, Flights, Swimming

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Feb 1, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Hi All,

Going to Disneyworld later on in the year but have a few concerns.

1) Sudden noises in the parks including roller coasters
      2) do planes making tinnitus worse? I'm tempted to go on the Dreamliner and pay a bit more as these are quieter?
      3) Will swimming make it worse? We intend to go to water parks which will chuck you around a lot and crash you into the water for example, I'm worried this "splash" will make it permanently worse.

Thanks for any help.

2. derpytia
      Pooptoast

derpytia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014 (many increases since then)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Progressive hearing loss / noise / ETD
      My advice? When going to Disneyworld, wear earplugs and then noise canceling headphones/earmuffs over those. If there's a ride that makes you worry about your T, I'd say go with your gut and don't get on it. You are better safe than sorry. On a plane, get yourself some Earplanes earplugs to help with the air pressure problems and, again, get some noise canceling headphones/earmuffs to put over those. As for swimming, I'd say try to keep yourself above water and try not to go too crazy. Everything in moderation. But I'm not a professional and I haven't been to a theme park since right before I got my T nor have I been swimming. But I have been on a plane and it spikes my T temporarily regardless but it's a little more bearable with my earplugs and headphones. Good luck!

3. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi Geg1992..

I fly quite often and never had spikes.. I do try and seat away from the engines and sometimes I put sone airplane earplugs on take off as it can be a bit loud, but never had any change of T.
      I also swim in the pool 3/4 times a week and I have had some custom made plugs designed for swimming and I do not have any problem either.. Do dry your ears when out of the water though as humidity can create some infections…
      About Disneyworld I would suggest you to keep some earplugs nearby just in case some attractions might be too loud, but otherwise go for it and enjoy it !!

There is life after T, maybe slightly changed but still life is.. :)

All the best to you!

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Lorenzo,

Do you not use ear plugs for the rest of the flight? I might chose the airline with the dreamliner as it's very quiet!

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll get some ear plugs bought for this trip, not sure if foam or the rubber/plasticy ones will be better? Worried they could fall out also. Not sure where to start in regards to getting custom made ones!

I guess Disneyworld wouldn't make the attractions too loud, not for long enough time to damage our ears surely anyway? Obviously the louder ones still wear ear plugs. I'm wondering if wearing ear plugs on a rollercoaster could do damage as the changes in pressure etc?

Yeah that's true, trying not to make it ruin my life, but it's hard to know what I can and can't do and what will make it worse permanently!

Thank you for your help!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Derpytia,

Thank you for the advice!

6. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Flight could even help, as it's like your own long session of HBOT (Oxygen Therapy).

7. Lorenzo74
      Mellow

Lorenzo74 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hi @geg1992

I tend not to keep the earplugs on too much anyway as I do not want to make my ears more sensible to sounds, so I only put them on when I feel uncomfortable in terms of loudness as I do not want my T to spike...
      Do not use the rubber/plasticity ones on the plane as the change of pressure in the cabin can affect them… For flying you should look for the earplugs which are specifically made for flying (they have a little hole in the middle to stabilize the pressure). So if you cannot find those then I would suggest you to go for the foamy one, but maybe check other threads on flying and T and I am sure you will get plenty of good advise..

I don't know about Disneyworld guidelines about loud noises, but wouldn't trust them to worry about your ears.. Just take some precautions.. better safe than sorry ehy!!

I don't think roller coasters can affect that much T and pressure, but to be honest I never really did much roller coasting, so maybe other people can answer you on that one…

Take care of yourself and your ears and go out and have fun !

8. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      My advice is simple:
      1. Have a Great Time!
      2. Keep some earplugs handy in your back pocket just in case but don't over think it!
      3. Have a Great Time!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, very helpful once again! I shall look forward to it instead of dreading it now! I have a flight in a couple of weeks but only short haul, I'll see if I can find these earplugs for then!

Thank you.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Erik, I just worry as I'm young so I have a lot of time left to damage my ears further! I'll definitely invest in some proper ear plugs before I go, I've been using foam plugs for football matches but they seem to be a bit temperamental.

Do you know anything about roller coasters and its effect on T?

11. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Just follow the advice posted above and u will be fine. The plugs for the plane are called ear planes and I saw them In cvs and rite aid. If the plane ride doesn't affect ur t then a roller coaster surely won't but I would wear foam plugs on the coaster.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks Rube. :)