Distant Foghorn in My Head

Discussion in 'Support' started by slashdottir, Oct 3, 2015.

1. slashdottir
      Studious

slashdottir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      For a number of years I have been aware of a very low intermittent hum that I thought was coming from some nearby power plant or electrical transformer or something. It sounds like a foghorn about 20 miles away, possibly underground, but only my left ear hears it. Of course, it is tinnitus at last I realize. I don't now how you would classify it, it is irregular. It turns on, goes steadily for about 5-20 seconds then goes away for a bit, then returns again. It's not pulsating, like a pulse, it's got no definite pattern, but it is ever happening. If there is enough ambient noise and distraction it's not a problem, but when I get home where it is much quieter, it seems almost like a roar.

I spent a few days recently cleaning out my left ear with things from the drug store. I'm certain the problem is not earwax or canal related, but something accumulated inside. If I pinch my nose and blow, it sounds like there is peanut butter and jam in there, it sounds very sticky and smacky.

I feel like it is almost certainly something to do with my Eustachian tube of my left ear. I was a passenger in a car accident 30 years ago that gave me a deviated septum, so the left side of my nose can't draw air through and I suspect the Eustachian tube is being pressed or obstructed possibly. Also, I have always tended to really honk my nose hard when I blow it and I wonder if I haven't created trouble that way also.

At any rate, I'm trying out some internet suggested techniques like breathing steam and using a neti pot and hope this problem will get resolved soon.

Thank you.

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      slashdottir
      Studious

slashdottir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      I tried some of the advice on Tinnitus Talk and it's better today. Thank you all.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Louisa K

Louisa K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello @slashdottir!

I see your post is quite an old one but I am new to Tinnitus Talk.

Just wanted to say what you described is exactly what I have been experiencing for about four years now. It took me a long time to figure out is was tinnitus and not some odd outdoor sound that only I could hear. (I always thought tinnitus was a ringing....so didn't connect the foghorn with tinnitus.)

Anyhow, just wondering if you are still here, and did you have any success resolving it?