Diuretics for Acoustic Trauma and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SaraK18, Oct 8, 2020.

1. SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      Hey!

I had an acoustic trauma about 6 weeks ago. It has been a stressful and scary time.

Thankfully, I am (slowly) healing.

However, I have become extremely anxious about sound exposure, even normal day to day sounds.
      Bad anxiety. It happened on accident, a bench slammed shut loudly near me. Can't believe that's all it took. Hearing dip at 4000 Hz. Bilateral.

I have been wearing earplugs a lot. Last weekend I got so anxious because a garage door shut loudly behind me. I don't think the sound damaged me, I also had earplugs in. I started feeling nauseous after the event, might have been stress induced. I probably tensed my whole body. That night my ear felt stuffy and I noticed when I woke up in the morning, the side I slept on- that ear felt slightly moist inside. I have noticed that every night since. Whatever side I sleep on, that ear feels a little moist. Not wet, just not totally dry. No more muffled feeling. But slight burning feeling in ears. Still have tinnitus, but volume has decreased over the last 6 weeks.

Called my doc the next day and told him what happened. He said hyperacusis and prescribed me with a water pill called Maxzide (Triamterene). Told me to take half since I have low blood pressure. He said he's okay with me trying to take herbal/natural diuretics instead. (I am VERY drug sensitive and try to avoid unless necessary)

I'm not sure I even have hyperacusis. I took a Xanax the other day and I wasn't sensitive to sounds, which leads me to think my hyperacusis might be from anxiety? No doubt my hearing was sensitive the first couple weeks, but i think it is less so now.

Does anyone have knowledge or experience with diuretics for acoustic trauma healing? Are they supposed to speed up the healing process? Do they decrease tinnitus? Is it normal to wake up with a moist feeling in your ear? Maybe I have been my whole life and never checked before. Maybe it's from wearing earplugs a lot?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
      Sara xx

2. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Hey just wanted to chime in, Xanax has been known to alleviate symptoms for some of those with hyperacusis while on it, but it doesn't mean the condition is psychological. Plenty of people like myself have sensitivity again after the benzo washes out of the body, but I believe it is still a physiological condition, albeit one that benzos help mitigate. It may be based in the brain, but I don't think you can simply change your outlook and thus the condition like you might with another stress induced symptom, although if you personally can, that would obviously be a win :)

• Like Like x 1
    3. Backpacker

Backpacker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Dandelion root tea.
      And sleep with your head elevated.

• Like Like x 1