Do I Have Hyperacusis If I Can't Tolerate Certain External Sounds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JohnFox, Mar 22, 2019.

1. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      In previous posts I have described how I have suffered complete loss of hearing in my right ear along with significant tinnitus. I also described how external sound/noise entering my left (good ear) has a dramatic effect on the intensity of my tinnitus. An example is, I can't tolerate being anywhere near dishes being banged together (washing dishes), or being inside a busy restaurant etc.

I don't have "pain", just a major increase in the level of the tinnitus. So... am I describing hyperacusis?

2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      The definition of loudness hyperacusis is of one when noises sound abnormally loud, is that what you experience?

3. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      @JohnFox
      This is exactly what I have.
      A poor tolerance for certain sounds that will ramp up your background Tinnitus sounds. Mine just hisses louder...
      These trigger sounds are very unique and may be unique to each of us.
      My triggers are Dishes, Cutlery, crisp packets and of all things...flushing toilets and running baths :)
      You will find that people will argue for months on what it is and the definition.
      Personally I don't think a definition really helps much.
      At the end of the day you have a sensitivity and your ears are basically telling you to take care.
      For what its worth...I would avoid the things that aggravate you for a while, but DONT get paranoid and avoid these sounds completely.
      Just take it easy and if you feel you need to take the edge off use foam earplugs for a short while if you feel uncomfortable. They take the edge off and stop the ramping up.
      In time you will find it ( hopefully ) improves. This is very slow and more years than weeks.
      Still not 100% sure it actually heals or if you brain just says *you know what I'm going to ignore this"
      Hang in there...better days will come, but its a long haul.
      Peace
      X

• Like Like x 2
    4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I dont think accommodation occurs because the brain ignores certain sounds or gets used to them. My feeling is more like something dies, haircells maybe, or change, synapsis maybe, and that changes the way in which sound is conducted or interpreted.

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Maybe, Maybe...who knows. Truth is no one knows.
      The point I was trying to make to @JohnFox is that 'something' occurs - if your lucky.
      I hope you are all lucky because this thing is awful.
      Dont give Mr T the attention he craves and he may just fade a little.
      Wishing all of you a quiet(er) day sometime soon.
      X

• Agree Agree x 1