Do I Have Tinnitus? I'm Hearing a Very Quiet "Dentist Drill" Noise

Discussion in 'Support' started by GorillaSTE, Jul 10, 2017.

1. GorillaSTE

GorillaSTE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      N/A
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      N/A
      I have recently started hearing a very quiet "dentist drill" noise in my left ear and when I move my head it goes to the right ear.

I went to a physician and they checked out my ears on the 1st day I hear it. They said everything looked fine and so I am just wondering if this will go away soon.

They prescribed me ear drops. I just started hearing it for no reason. I wear headphones and everything but I have the noise almost off when I talk to my friends.

I really hope this will go away. It kinda started a week ago but it went away after the first hour. It seems to only really bother me or I only really hear it when I am thinking about it.

I am somewhat a worrier so I don't know if its just in my head.

2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Hi

Any noise you hear that is not external is tinnitus so yes that does seem like t.

3. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The fact that you wear headphones is a clue to why you are hearing tinnitus. It is likely you've been listening to music too loud. If I were you stop using them and save yourself a lot of misery. Please click on the links below as you might find the information on tinnitus helpful. Try to read them in full and not skim through them.

Michael

PS: I advise that you don't sleep in a quiet room. Use sound enrichment. More is explained in my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, in the link below.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GorillaSTE

GorillaSTE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      N/A
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      N/A
      Except I don't listen to them loud at all. Matter a fact it started when i was just sitting down and relaxing with no noise.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      The most common cause of tinnitus is exposure to loud sounds/noise. Usually by headphones or attending places where loud music is played: clubs, concerts the cinema. Working in a noisy environment. I suspect it is headphone use that has caused your tinnitus. You may not think the volume is loud when you are listening but you would be quite surprised of the high listening levels that can be achieved with these devices. If you have been listening to music through headphones for a long time, then I believe this is what has cause your tinnitus.

If it is headphones, then the tinnitus has been coming on for some time and you've only just noticed it which is good, because you can do something about it. Give your ears a rest for a while and don't use the headphones even at low volume. Read the articles that I've given you in the link and use a sound machine at night by your bedside. If you do return to using headphones (something I don't advise) keep the volume low. I would give headphones a rest for a least 3 months if I were you.

All the best
      Michael

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GorillaSTE

GorillaSTE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      N/A
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      N/A
      My doctor said it will go away, is that true?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GorillaSTE

GorillaSTE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      N/A
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      N/A
      and i have headphones that don't go up a certain volume for this exact reason, I don't think it was the headphones.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GorillaSTE

GorillaSTE Member

Tinnitus Since:
      N/A
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      N/A
      Day 2 my tinnitus seems to have gotten quieter. I think the doctor was right, this will just eventually fade out. I also have the headphone volume at about 3 precent out of 100 now. Very quiet. Thanks everyone

• Like Like x 1