Do I Have Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nathan Grove, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Nathan Grove
      Cheerful

Nathan Grove Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      So I'm 21 and I think I've had tinnitus for about a week but it sounds like a high frequency noise. I'm not talking about a really high pitched note. I'm talking about the sound you hear when an old CRT turns on. I only get it in my left ear and it's fairly quiet but there just enough to be bothersome. I have no idea what caused it since I don't listen to music too loudly, I don't think I'm sick, and I've never had a head injury of any sort. It just kinda started. I went to get a physical and I don't have any ear blockage either.

I'm not even sure that it is tinnitus because I've heard that high pitched noise you get when you fire a gun without ear protection or directly after a concert but only very temporarily. Can someone even tell me if I have it or if it's just some dumb thing that is gonna go away in a couple days.

2. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      yup that's tinnitus! Not every tinnitus is a high pitched single tone. Many people hear crickets, whistling, humming or even different tones at once. Also there are plenty of frequencies a tinnitus can have.
      However as you didn't suffer any trauma I would try to stay calm and not listen for the noise, especially as it doesn't seem to be too loud. You have good chances that it goes the way it came. Fingers crossed!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nathan Grove
      Cheerful

Nathan Grove Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      @seal That is reassuring. Honestly I don't have it nearly as bad as most people on this site. I completely forget about it when I'm driving around or really busy with something. The only times I really notice it is if I'm in a room with no background noise. Hopefully you're right with it going away, but if it doesn't I can learn to deal with it :/ The uncertainty is what kills.

4. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I am 99,9% sure that even if it doesn't go away you will quickly adapt to it. You could do a quick check up with the ENT in case your ear is clogged or something. If everything is fine don't try to listen for it or measure the loudness, just try your best to ignore it and to not care. Be smart with protecting your ears if you're going to loud places, venues etc. but except for that live your life normally. As I said either it subsides (good chances after only a week!) or you'll get used to it and not bother anymore as it is pretty mild.