Do We Avoid Social Life and Noisy Places Because of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by nills, Jan 21, 2014.

?

Do you avoid public places and loud spaces?

1. No, I'm not worried but I have no hearing loss anyway. No effect on Tinnitus.

4 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. No, I'm not worried although I have hearing loss. No effect on Tinnitus.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  3. I don't care but Tinnitus spikes for days after, but eventually comes down.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I avoid concerts and clubs but I go to bars or small parties. No significant effects afterwards.

10 vote(s)
    17.9%
  5. I avoid concerts and clubs but go to bars or small parties. It does cause spikes.

7 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. I try to avoid all places where there is loud noise, but sometimes can't resist - I use earplugs

9 vote(s)
    16.1%
  7. I avoid all loud places, concerts, parties, clubs and bars... just not worth it

24 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Other choice (Please describe in comments)

3 vote(s)
    5.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    1. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Simple question to see how much it influences our social life.

Feel free to add what you do instead of the things you left behind. or significant your experiences are when the Tinnitus spikes and comes/does n`t come down.

See a lot of people talking about there experiences after going out so though might be interesting poll.

Personally i avoid all loud places and when a whole groups goes to any place where there is loud music, i`m going home. Also because it is hard for me to understand people anyway in those places and i`m just like a bag of beans ... I go to the beach, walks in the city/forrest, enjoy time at home. Don`t miss anything, have seen it all before.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Garden Ring
      Mellow

Garden Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I keep going to my friends' small parties, but they've never been too loud. Usully there's just very low bacrground music, if any. And we can watch a movie, which also is not a bad thing, as I'm able to control the volume of it, unlike a movie theatre. And communication is great in helping me forget about my T. Sometimes a whole evening can go without me thinking about it, isn't that great?
      But no more concerts for me, at least until the cure/treatment is found. Just don't want to take the risk.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Steelbanks
      Happy

Steelbanks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I went to an Aerosmith concert last year. I live in New Zealand and big acts never come here. Had a great night. Was half deaf when I left. Next day was VERY worrying but I got thru it, it all went back to normal and I thought what an idiot I had been. I'm never doing it again for any act.
      Having said that. U gotta enjoy your life. No big nights out at nightclubs (too old anyway!) but restaurants with friends - for sure.... you can let T rule your life....

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Amy
      Tired

Amy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I still go to concerts but I'm much more careful about prepping before I go (wearing earplugs, not standing near speakers, etc.). My biggest trigger is bars - you can never gauge the noise levels, so I've ended up at places where it's been way too loud and has definitely made the ringing worse. I think part of my most recent spike is from spending an evening out at an incredibly loud bar without any ear protection. :meh:

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. Owch

Owch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I don't go out any more

It is awful as I used to love concerts and cinema - I would try to go to a jazz improv session every few weeks before the tinnitus struck and I miss the creativity and expression terribly

I'm not so bothered about missing the bars and the restaurants however, that it just a mild annoyance

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Sherri786
      Dreaming

Sherri786 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      I avoid all loud places, bought a big screen tv to watch movies at home:bag:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I voted avoiding all loud places. Just not worth it for me at the moment.

Perhaps once I acclimatize to T ill venture out a little more

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    8. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      i really want to see Katy Perry. I love her so much but i am too scared to go to her concert. that sux balls

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. clare hart

clare hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      My T is constant but things do make it spike. I go to a concert occasionally anyway. The things that bother me are the things I have to do like vaccumming. I use our jacuzzi sometimes and that really makes it worse, but I still do it because I need it. I haven't yet started to do the things suggested in the way of supplements. That is my next step and I appreciate the forum's advice. Thanks for that.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      God, the vacuum drives me CRAZY. But now I wear construction ear muffs when I run the sweeper (or other loud power tools like the pruning saw) and it works fine.

I love being with others and have a lot of interests, so I refuse to give into tinnitus and curb my lifestyle. True, I am careful: I wear both ear plugs AND muffs at louder concerts, big theater events, and carry my plugs with me everywhere. But the only thing I have given up is super loud arena shows (which I rarely attended anyway), super noisy clubs (which I am too old to go to any more now) and singing with a large community choral group (which made me sad. But I sing with a smaller group instead and may give the larger group another shot later).

I accept my tinnitus but it is NOT going to run my life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      Most people avoid socializing because you are reminded how much fun everyone
      Is having while you are worried about your ears and the noise level. I cancelled
      Many events and attended one or two but hoped for them to end quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. missZZ
      Wishful

missZZ Member

Myself I do pretty much everything I did before. So no significant limiting myself. I use good ear plugs when going to concerts or when being at some loud place. I also turned down the volume on my iphone. I noticed that there is a volume safety feature in settings. I try doing things with reason, not panicking and trying not to focus all my attention on it. :)
      I have this theory that my T cannot define me. I am aware of it and I respect it but my T must understand that it is a guest in my ear lol and I refuse to limit myself.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Elseroth

Elseroth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-2003
      I don't have T all the time but lately I am in a stressful situation and it is bad at night ...before I go to sleep

14. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      This may be because I have very mild tinnitus, but I still go and hang out with my friends at restaurants, hookah bar, or movies. Hell, I am going out for coffee and a movie tonight! But then again, I live in a small town and our theatre is probably not loud like an IMAX or something of that nature. I no longer go to shows unless they are acoustic, but I still play music with a band. I wear double protection as seen in my avatar. I also either practice acoustic or completely unplugged.

I had to let go of my dream of being in a My Bloody Valentine-esque noise rock band. So, now I focus more on jazz and math-rock.

15. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Well my son and future wife will be getting married in 2017 so will enjoy most of it but happy retire early with their son my little grandson to put him bed and have a early night with him....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    16. Jae
      Bookworm

Jae Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/12/15
      No, T, and hearing loss is bad enough. Loneliness will add to it. I find hanging out with friends calm me down more so than not.

• Hug Hug x 1