Do You Guys Think Stress Can Cause Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Liana, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Liana

Liana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I had a really bad 2016, lots of shit happened to me that I had to push through. In October I started a new job but it was 2 hours away from my house so I began driving about 4 hours a day and working 8 hours a day everyday and all the while my boyfriend and I had been going through an incredible rough patch as it was the first time we ever lived apart from each other and I just felt so isolated moving back home to take this job

Before I got my job I spent all my time at his place which inst in the same town I lived in it was an hour away.
      We fought for months and in December it kind of died down but I was still pretty stressed out. I just havent had a good 12 months if i really put it all together and think of the shit storm i had to walk through.

Do you guys think this caused the ringing in my ears?

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Stress can cause tinnitus. However, if you regularly listen to music through headphones or attend places where loud music is played: concerts, clubs etc then this is the most likely cause.
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Liana

Liana Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Michael Leigh The only times i ever listened to music was when I was in the car to and from work, I never went to clubs or concerts ever.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Liana Many things can cause tinnitus and the most common is exposure to loud noise. If you are sure that you don't listen to music through headphones regularly and not go to places where loud music is played, then it's possible stress is causing it. As I've said many things can cause tinnitus. You might want to read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View, you might find it helpful. Click on the link below.
      Best of luck
      Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

5. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Liana
      Someone very wise told me that it's the physical changes / chemicals that are induced when we are under stress that MAY cause tinnitus. Eg. Cortisol.
      So yes, in that sense, I believe that stress may cause tinnitus (or rather the effect it has on our body).
      This is my theory and certainly not an expert opinion!

6. cflkb

cflkb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      I believe stress can be one of the factors that can cause Tinnitus. I think mine was due to it, partially. Mine started during a time when I lost my job and money was tight and we had to find a new place to live with two kids to support.... I couldn't sleep and it was extremely stressful. And then I had a small ear infection, doctor noticed a slight redness in inner ear and I took the usual antibiotics and I think the culmination of it all started my road to hell....

7. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm not actually sure stress can CAUSE tinnitus, but it sure can make it much worse if you have it.

8. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      What medications have you taken recently? Certain meds can also cause tinnitus.

9. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

At this point the question isn't whether stress causes tinnitus but rather, how you are going to deal with that stress in the here and now. For me the answer was to learn relaxation and meditation techniques. Seriously, it has helped immensely.

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    10. Melissa101

Melissa101 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety
      Yep. I can't say what caused yours but mine is definitely stress induced. Sensory problems are very, very common with anxiety.