Do You Have Tinnitus When You Are Asleep?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MattYYZ, Apr 15, 2016.

1. MattYYZ
      Brooding

MattYYZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew. Several theories. No solutions yet.
      I was told my tinnitus is a hallucination; in response to losing hearing in the 4000 hz range, my brain creates a hallucination in that same range to compensate for the loss ( thanks brain, I'd be better without it). It is constant, never wavers, and I have had it for 18 months.

I guess there is no way to tell, but I am honestly curious if it continues when I sleep. Does anybody know this? I wonder because what I believe is that overall, tinnitus contributes greatly to general fatigue and if it continues when you are asleep, it affects the your bodies number one time for recuperation.

I tried a masking machine and used to run youtube videos for awhile but found them really annoying when I woke up in the middle of the night. Now I just find a podcast I like and set a timer for it to go off in about 45 minutes and I'm usually asleep by then.

2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

To dream is to cure phantoms: Professor Dirk...

beyond that, there's no reason I've found to think that sleep in the presence of constant noise, isn't restful. For instance, many people sleep with fans or white noise machines or music.

3. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Yea it wakes me up constantly

4. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I have lucid dreams very often in the last few years, I can not hear my T in my dreams, I have tried listening for it many times while asleep and dreaming.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      in the last two days i wake up to pee in the middle of the night with no t

6. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      I have never thought of this. I would have to say my T has never been in my dreams...seems odd doesn't it, as nothing masks it...

7. rzhang
      Transparent

rzhang Member

Had a dream where suddenly my tinnitus spiked, woke up to spiking tinnitus. Thankfully it was temporary

8. suze

suze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Tinnitus can be seen with real time imaging. They first saw it while treating a man with Parkinsons. I would think this question would be answered by scanning an asleep T sufferer........ I wish someone would do that.

9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Tinnitus is no hallucination, whoever told you that is full of sh**

Tinnitus is noise that is in your head. When you are alseep, you don't notice them.

10. SwiftLeo

SwiftLeo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I had one dream where I smoked pot and my T spiked, but I woke up and it was as low as it usually is when I first wake up. Other than that, nope o.o