Do You Know the Cause of Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by on64, Nov 8, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. on64

on64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      As the question goes, how can we know what's causing our tinnitus?
      I went yesterday to the doctor and she told me that I was hearing noises because of an earwax buildup, but unfortunately she was wrong as the sounds persists even after my ear has been cleaned.
      Did you have to go to multiple doctors in order to get a diagnosis of your tinnitus?

2. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Just have to do process of elimination and find out what you've been doing for the past months that could cause tinnitus. Unfortunately, there are a lot of things that can cause T, from earwax to pleasuring yourself....Maybe the earwax is on the eardrum, causing a noise. Maybe your brain is making phantom sounds from your preexisting T.

3. Mahr
      Tired

Mahr Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, probably hair cell damage
      A GP and an ENT. Had some tests. Conclusion: cochlea damage. And then my brain made the sound I cannot hear anymore. So as Kazue said, it is a phantom noise. A bit sad is the fact that more tones occur and the t went to the other ear also. (or the audible cortex is playing games with me..)

4. Zeneth
      Hurting

Zeneth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Unknown At This Point.... most likely loud sound?
      How does pleasuring yourself cause T XD

5. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have no idea. But I heard of this causing T multiple times.

6. on64

on64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      can we stop the stupid brain from making phantom noises?

• Like Like x 1
    7. GregCA
      Crappy

GregCA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
    8. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      You dont need to go to ENT. Chances are his/her knowledge of T will be elementry.

Damage to the synapse that connects haircells to the sensory neurons causes T....these are most vulnerable parts of the auditory system...they need be damaged upto 90% to cause hearing loss. But for T and H that much damage is not needed, partial damage is sufficient. This explains our normal audiograms. But the richness of the sounds we hear decreases with loss of synapses and we dont hear properly in noisy environment. This is called hidden hesring loss.

Loss of synapse means less input to the auditiory nerve....once this happens the neural changes that occur in brain like SFR(spontaneous firing rates) increase and increased central gain causes T and H respectively.

There is window of oppurtunity betweem few months to even years where synapses can recover as the haircells and sensory neurons remain intact during this window. This explains why certain people ( ex. @attheedgeofscience ) benefitted from stem cell treatment while others did not. Maybe he was lucky enough to get the stemcells before haircells stopped firing.
      There is also a guy whose T went away after months , but he was young(in his teens).. check the below link.
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/my-personal-story-about-tinnitus-gone.5979/

Source: http://www.nature.com/articles/srep24907

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Zeneth
      Hurting

Zeneth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Unknown At This Point.... most likely loud sound?
      I'm 13 and have had T for 5 months, anything I can do to possibly help it go away

10. Kazue

Kazue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/19/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I personally have experienced phantom noises where my T went away temporarily but my brain kept hearing it. I thought I was going crazy and maybe I didn't have T. Maybe it was just my brain creating phantom noises because it's used to hearing the crickets all day. Eventually it went away and my actual T came back. Just don't listen for it.

11. DirM
      Pensive

DirM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 11, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ/TMD
      Most people on this forum had to go to multiple doctors and many still don't know what the cause is. In my case I saw three doctors before I got to an ENT who diagnosed me correctly (TMJ). In my case I am "lucky" since my T is somatic and not nerve damaged based. But it took the ENT to figure that out.

12. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      100% caused by exposure too a powerful external alarm sounder.

Tinnitus, hearing loss, hyperacusis, balance (vestibular) problems.

13. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      My initial one started with an ear infection but because I became so crazy about it and listened so much in the early days I started to hear other tones in my other ear. At least I think the stress caused me to notice the other tones. I wonder if MAYBE it was the first few days of having T from the ear infection that I wore ear buds on decently loud to get to sleep that did it? I don't know.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. Jason C

Jason C Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29 May 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Burgler Alarm
      90% damage too cause hearing loss??

How does that explain different levels of hearing loss then??

15. ThreeS
      Frustrated

ThreeS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety Attack
      An anxiety attack, forty days and counting.

16. Alue

Alue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yep. An acoustic trauma caused by a coworker.

17. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Various level of hearing loss = various levels of hair cell loss.

Various levels of Tinnitus = various levels of synapses loss.

Simples.

18. Tim Hogan
      Suicidal

Tim Hogan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/Flu (Minor) >>> Botched Acoustic Reflex Test (Severe)
      Initial was minor from bad Flu then Catastrophic caused by Acoustic Reflex Test by an ENT.

19. RudyL90

RudyL90 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety disorder
      My tinnitus is 100% stress/anxiety related. Started during an anxiety disorder (I was kind of a hypochondriac). My anxious reaction to it made it worse. Started with one tone in the left ear, now I have a false orchestra in both ears.
      But I am feeling much better than when it all started and am confinced that one day I will no longer suffer from it. :)

• Agree Agree x 1