Do You Notice the Noise When You Wake Up...?

Discussion in 'Support' started by paavo, Mar 11, 2011.

1. paavo

paavo Member

I don't know why but my t is very loud the moment I wake up, I no more enjoy mornings and waking up with a headache is not unusual either.

You think it's normal?

2. Clive

Clive Member

Yes Paavo. This is very common. The reason is thouught to be that your brain goes into acute listening mode while you are asleep and pays more attentin to the tinnitus. Are you using sound therapy while you are sleeping?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      paavo

paavo Member

Acute listening listening mode? What does that mean? When I go to sleep, I have my laptop playing music for 2-3 hours and then the laptop sets it off. I should try to keep it on the whole night.

4. Clive

Clive Member

Hi Paavo,
      "Acute listening listening mode."
      Some people think that this is a relic of the time of the time when we needed to be alert to danger when asleep. When the room falls silent after the music finishes your awareness of your tinnitus may increase. I suggest you have have some sound in the room all night. May help in the long term.
      Best wishes,
      Clive

5. Hi Paavo,
      Yes mornings are the worst for me too. At the moment I usually start the day with a xanex. I plan on finding a masking device that works for me as soon as I can and getting off the pills.

6. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      My T is like near completely gone when i wake and for like a lil after... I have mild T to begin with that i can inly really hear in a silent room but when i wake i plug my ears and its almost nothing?

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      For me waking up is the worst, the momentary realisation of another day with this condition, the fact I have no chance of drifting back off to sleep even if I'm not working. Last night I woke at 2.30 am from a dream straight into high pitched ringing in my ears, took an hour to drop off to sleep again, I know it was about an hour because I had background noise on a 45 minute timer and had to restart it.

I also have been waking up to headaches and I seem to be very easily fatigued. One month ago I was riding my bike maybe 10 hours a week (I race, or used to up until 1 month ago!) since getting T I've been out for one ride with my daughter, just don't have the energy or inclination to do more than I have to at the moment.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. citigirl13
      Happy

citigirl13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/1/14
      @tom68 have you mentioned these symptoms to a doctor? Perhaps it would be a good idea to have an MRI scan if you haven't already. I used to have a lot of headaches with mine, but I am pretty sure mine were sinus related as they seemed to hurt at the base of my nose and sometimes I would get nosebleeds which would release the pressure.

@paavo my T in the morning varies in loudness. At the beginning it was very loud, almost like a whistling, but recently it has not been so bad. Even when it was loud there have only been a few times it has woken me up, and most of the time when I am half asleep I think, "Is my T still there?" and only THEN do I notice it. Unfortunately I think for quite a few people T is very loud in the morning which is not pleasant.

9. SarahR

SarahR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      My T gets worse throughout the day and on waking up it's the best it will be.

I can often doze for at least a couple of minutes before *BAM* I notice my T and then I hear it all day.

It's strange how it is so different to different people!

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Saif
      Suicidal

Saif Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Everyday it's like I woke up on stage at concert.

• Agree Agree x 2
    11. Glenn
      Balanced

Glenn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/06/2014
      I sleep with a noise machine all night. When i wake up and turn it off, My T is the loudest of the day. It seems to get better as the day progresses. Over the last couple weeks however, im going through a major spike it my T. Its very frustrating :(

12. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      My T is ringing loud & high pitched most mornings when I wake up. I don't give a dime to it though. Used to be unable to ignore it and it could even trigger a panic attack on auto mode. But given time and repetition, plus adopting a positive approach, my brain is now hardened to such ringing. I accept it as part of my being and the brain somehow learns to agree. LOL. I now go about my days and my brain just fades out even the loud T from consciousness. When the brain doesn't consider T a threat, it can even fade out loud noise around it. Just like your brain can fade out the plane noise, even as loud as the jet engines, when you are into a movie during the flight. It is that magical. It takes time for the brain to get there though. So be patient and give it time.

• Like Like x 2
    13. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I'm fairly certain that it's been established that most individuals experience a surge of adrenaline upon waking. A mechanism which helps us to "get up and going". Might this be a factor in the increase in T volume in some? Could this adrenaline surge be higher in those of us with T? No answers here just questions.

14. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      I wake up feeling like I was hit on the head with a baseball bat and I am in a belltower 1 second after the bells stopped ringing....My head just siiiiiings !

15. Garden Ring
      Mellow

Garden Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Almost 4 month into my tinnitus I have to say that my sleep problems are gone. Even though I hear the whistle clearly I can easily dose off and not hear it in my sleep. Morning are different. Sometimes I have the same as @Grace described. Nearly noiseless waking up, and it gradually gets worse throughout the day towards the night. Sometimes it's like a fire alarm.
      Also, a little off topic: sometimes I can hear my tinnitus in an airplane. Sometimes I don't hear it in a quiet room. I tend to think that in fact it really never changes, it's just the way my brain reacts to this. So I hope one day I'll learn to just never hear it. And I wish you all the same.

16. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Billie48, your posts are always so positive so please keep posting! I can't imagine the bliss of waking up with loud T and being able to ignore it. I can just about cope if I have a busy day and have to get up and going but on days where I just want to have a relaxing day at home it is always impossible as it overwhelms me. I don't want to have to do things just to get away from the T as I feel that that's the wrong approach.
      Did you have good days and bad days till you got to that stage or did you manage to not react at all for long periods of time? I can go for a week or so not reacting then start to think that I've not reacted for a week and it's still as loud and annoying so therefore I'm reacting to it again! I got it beginning of 2008 so feel I should be doing better. X

• Hug Hug x 2
    17. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      One of my t tones starts morsing only when its silent, and then it slowly goes from morsing to a constant tone, when it's most loud and consistant I find it to be the least intrusive actually. That tone is only on left ear, however when it's at its' loudest and most consistant in the morning, I for some reason have an easier time zooming out of it.

I can't tell whether your t is louder in the morning, what I can tell you is after hours of silence, the lack of external sound input will cause any sound one's ears are exposed to to be Loud. Same goes for normal ears.

Paavo if you have a headache, you ought to get it checked as that doesnt sound like regular t.

18. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Thanks, I needed that hug. X I know exactly what you mean. On good days I have quite a lot of energy but on bad days (which most are0, I could quite easily do nothing for the day. I have to do the usual things like housework and I still work part time but it is so very difficult. My energy seems sapped by the noise. The moment that the noise is heard on waking is the worse......fear that life is still so crap.

I do hope you get back to riding your bike and enjoying life again.

19. tom68
      Wishful

tom68 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Same here Beth, feel so lacking in energy but I don't know if it's just not sleeping properly.

20. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      My T is opposite of yours. When I wake up, I perceive it to be at the lowest volume. As the day goes on, I perceive it to be at a higher volume.

It seemed to be ringing pretty strong last night when I went to bed, and then when I woke up it was very quiet. Also like my pre-T days, but it was there if I listened for it.

21. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      same level from when I get up to go to bed very loud

22. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      On the bright side, that probably makes it easier to habituate to? I'm guessing anyway. It seems like it would be easier to get used to something that is consistent versus something that changes regularly.

23. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      I agree totally but it still sucks

24. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Thanks Beth. Of course every habituation I know of is progressive. Not everyone is superhuman. I had my share of sufferings, setbacks, and more setbacks. Remember I am a victim of anxiety/panic disorder. The nerves are still that weak. It takes a lot of time and patience. Eventually, I arrive to the conclusion that T is going to be with me for the rest of my life. It is part of my being. I have to learn total acceptance of it otherwise I will spend the rest of my life in misery (because without feeling that, my anxiety/panic prone nerves will eat me up). I also come to the conclusion after a few years of struggling that I survive. Life with T is still livable. T hadn't killed me. I just thought that had I not reacted so badly for the first year or so, my T life would have even be more livable and enjoyable. So I decided back then to live my life abundantly regardless of T ringing high or low. On high days, I imagine that I would be like having a mine driller's job in the 3rd world without much ear protection and working 1000+ underground, facing mortal danger of collapsing mine and poisonous gas. I also count my blessing I am not blind, handicapped, nor with some infirmities. That is my own way of coping. It works for me and I could accept the high ringing days this way.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. Jody25

Jody25 Guest

There are a couple of things that will reduce the morning roar....sleep with your head higher than your body, I use extra pillows. And some of us are hypoglycemic without realizing it...so some OJ as soon as you wake up---raise the sugar level in the blood and maybe that will help reduce the noise.

26. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Mine is always low in the morning. Normally just a faint static noise. Like a radio on no channel in another room. Sometimes it's gone in the morning.

The same when I go to sleep. The moment I lay down and relax it's gone. Sometimes it rings a little bit, but it's not a big deal.

But yeah, the moment I go out my house door, and do stuff. Then it comes and goes like crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1