Do You Take Something to Reduce Your Tinnitus? Do You Take Something That Relaxes You to It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Apr 2, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Those are two separate questions. If so, what do you take? Does it work well? Also, do you find that if you are relaxed to tinnitus that it reduces in "volume"?

2. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      1-No.

2-I take Remeron 30mg for each night to sleep because I have kind of insomnia for the past 6 years even my T free times. I sometimes use White Noise App to mask my T during the night. I love crickets sound! (I have ream somewhere that 10 mg Remeron taken during the day also may reduce the sound)

3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I take Amitryptaline 50mg at night for sleep ......lots of love glynis

4. no life

no life Member

[QUTE="glynis, post: 173611, member: 11011"]I take Amitryptaline 50mg at night for sleep ......lots of love glynis[/QUOTE]
      Do you find it lowers your T.

5. terry b

terry b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      counting the years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It happened
      I took Amitrptaline for a short while and I could feel it weirdly working around my ears - it felt like it used to push the noises to the back of my head .... would feel tingly without the noise ... I was only on 10mg but one night took 30mg and had illuminations !!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @no life,
      I have not noticed it helps my tinnitus but does help me sleep .
      Prednisone makes my ears go quiet on a high dose for my asthma but now tapering down it always returns to a high level due to Menieres.
      Enjoying lovely quiet ears while it lasts ......lots of love glynis

7. ridgew

ridgew Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2004->2012->2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I take depakine ER, it helps with anxiety and racing thougths throu the day.

When i relax on bed before sleeping, my intermittent tones switch to stable gradually, then blend with the background hiss, which goes down in volume as well.

8. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      A glass of wine or a can of beer can lower my perception of t and get me off to sleep for a while. However I will wake a few hours later with usual noises. Trying to wean off meds a bit as they al have some unpleasant side effect. Often we may only find out about them when its too late.

9. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      A glass or two of wine and I'm off to bed happy.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I take a Klonopin about once every six weeks.

11. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      I take 0.5 xanax in the morning and mid afternoon. Also take .5 valium befor bed which was orderer by an osteopath for severe arthritis in my neck to relax the muscles. Actually yes it does lower my T by 50% most of the time. One step further I am on my second CD learning Spanish, go to the gym 5 days a week weight training and cardio and im also starting tai chi which I find all of these things are very helpful taking your attention off of the T and speeding up habituation..Actually my neck pain has decreased as well.....I no alot of people dont like benzos but im on a low dose and my high pitched T that I hear over everything but the shower has decreased and I feel almost normal again...

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think benzos after a very personal decision, and some people use them for a long time. I would just encourage caution, you're not using what I'd call a "low dose" by a long shot; you're taking a moderate dose of a fast acting benzo, combined with a moderate dose of a long acting benzo. The reason people tend to be pessimistic about that is that it's often only sustainable for some number of months or years before leading to worse problems.

Again, it's a personal decision, but just don't kid yourself about the seriousness or risks. It sounds like your overall lifestyle is very healthy and commendable, and assuming you don't consume any alcohol, you may be able to take benzos for a long time before it's time to pay the piper.

13. Denny

Denny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2013
      If it is bad and you want to avoid medications you can try warming olive oil and putting a few drops in your ears.
      I use to take amitriptylline but had to stop (50mg) it would cause some bad spikes at night which stopped now I take melatonin or valerian root.

14. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      My mother took xanax for I long as can remember but did not abuse it and died this year at 102. If you have an addictive personality then I would not probably take them and as far as dosage I am taking 2nd to the lowest dosage of xanax being the lowest at .025. Some days I even take the lowest dosage depending on my day....