Do You Tell Your Friends About Your Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ady, Jun 18, 2015.

?

Which of the following groups have you told about your tinnitus?

1. Nobody

2. My closest family (spouse, parents, siblings, etc.)

3. My best friend(s)

4. My friends

5. People I don't know well

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have told my whole entire direct family. I told only a few friends. They all understand how I feel, but only a few really show concern. It doesn't really bother me anymore. At least they know what I'm going through in life

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Thanks man for the suggestions/ideas.

3. John G

John G Member

I used to mention to people about my T but most people in general don't care about other peoples health problems. For example.. I would mention to my brothers that I had T. One said "Oh yeah..have fun with that!" and the other brother had no response.

I have mentioned to a couple of friends about my T. They never even heard of that type of condition. Even after explaining the symptoms to them,they seem to not really be interested in knowing more about my T,so I don't bring up that topic anymore.

So nowadays,I don't mention a thing about the T to anyone but here on this forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      I only tell people that are caring and sensitive. With many people, it is my policy to keep it concealed.

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I tell anyone that wants to know. I won't however just randomly say to people "hey I've got tinnitus!"

All my friends and family know, it's no secret at all. The only time I'll really bring it up around others who may not know is if things get loud, I'll have no problem putting ear plugs in and telling them all about tinnitus. The surprising thing I've found in this scenario is that every person has said how bad it sounds and say they are glad they don't have it, and then continue to bask in loud environments with absolutely no protection. It obviously doesn't scare people enough.

Humans are just funny things. Take smoking for example, we know it kills yet people still do it. We take short term pleasure over long term benefits.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      wow ... you habituated. good for you.

7. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think I'm just more used to it than really habituating... maybe in a couple months more, I'll be really habituated.
      Right now fleeting T still scares me...

8. barnacle
      Worried

barnacle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise et al.
      With some friends I thought that they weren't concerned but found out later that they just didnt know what to say. Might be the same with some of your friends.

9. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe.

10. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

I've learned to just tell people that I have hearing problems. Few people understand tinnitus and even fewer are interested in being edified on the subject.

11. Philip

Philip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinus infection or noise exposure or both
      I wouldn't tell people outside my close family or one or two select friends.

I am uncomfortable that people on the street may think I'm mentally ill or something.

We live in the real world where many people are quite ignorant and that's a simple fact I'm afraid.

• Agree Agree x 1