Do You Think I Can Still Practice Electric Guitar at Home?

Discussion in 'Support' started by CarloZ, Oct 7, 2015.

1. CarloZ

CarloZ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      I have tinnitus from listening to the iPod with earphones at high volumes during past 4 years. I stopped listening in total unless its from my turntable. But can I still practice guitar with distortion? I never practiced my guitar at high volumes. Not even medium. I always put it in the low volume where I can hear it clearly, but enough to make there room vibrate or anything. Never get ear pain when practicing guitar either. Should I risk it?

Also, another question, can I listen to HEADphones at low volumes? Or should I avoid headphones as well?

2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I can't speak to the guitar, but I listen to music with headphones regularly just at much lower volume than I did before T became an issue. The music I listen to tends to be more mellow than when I was younger. I find it helpful and have noticed no negative effects.

3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I play electric at low volumes both clean and dirty. No problems. Can't play with drums anymore though.

4. adam2525
      Balanced

adam2525 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes to both. I play electric at low volume. Though I don't use headphones or buds myself there is no reason not to use them at a low volume. Enjoy :rockingbanana:

• Like Like x 1
    5. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Electric guitar may be one of the best instruments to play when having tinnitus. It's acoustic volume is very very soft and you can use a small amp to get the low volume you want :)

Compare that to acoustic stringed instruments like a violin which you hold near your ears, or... *gasp* wind instruments resonating in your mouth.

I find the headphones-thing tricky. It's probably possible, but it's easy to turn them up too loud when recording or when there's a lot of ambient noise. I used to listen to music on the bus at a low volume level, but when I put in my earbuds late at night in a quiet room, the same level seemed quite loud.

6. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Yup. An old fiddler told me almost 40 years ago, "If you're going to play the fiddle, you're going to have a knot in your neck and ringing in your ears."

7. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow... That's quite, uh... down to earth.

8. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Others have already chimed in but yes, you can play guitar at moderate levels without causing further damage, I believe.

One of the important things with T is getting your life back, so if you love playing the guitar, play it.

9. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      If you are able to hear your own normal speaking voice it can't be too loud :) Its an easy way to check.

10. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      My ears do weird thing when I bend a note, on acoustic or low level electric. My ears tense up, or 'cave in.'
      Only on the bent notes.

11. DudeMannDude
      Spaced

DudeMannDude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Totally! If you are using some pedals like distortion, fuzz, or anything that can increase the volume I would recommend getting a compressor to put at the end of your chain. More specifically, an optical compressor.

What the compressor does for you is even out all the volume of your pedals and guitar so that way you do not get any loud spikes. This is very important to practicing at home. There have been times where I was not using my compressor and I would kick on my Fuzz Factory without checking the volume... Let's just say it got really loud really quick. I now do not have to worry with the compressor at the end of my chain!

However, this is all subject to taste. I really like the sound of moderate to heavy compression on a strat, but you may hate it with whatever set-up you have.