Do You Think That your Tinnitus Lowers When You Are Distracted from It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Aug 9, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Maybe this is all in my head but I remember talking on the phone sometimes and being distracted from the tinnitus because I am concentrating on the conversation instead of the ringing.

There are times when I get off the phone and the tinnitus seems lower to me.

I don't think this happens all the time though. Anyone else here experience this?

2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      My tinnitus volume does not change, it is always the same. When I am distracted, it still remains the same but less or NO attention is given to it :)

• Winner Winner x 1
    3. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I believe that @fishbone has it right. The volume does not actually change, but for those for whom this happens, there is the perception of a decrease in volume because it is no longer in the forefront of your consciousness. And, if you do not notice it, it is the same as it not being there. And that is a great thing, I am happy for you @JasonP that you have those moments of peace.

• Like Like x 1
    4. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      Four months ago, after the medical procedure that made my tinnitus severe again, the spikes were very often and usually lasted for hours, I used to phone call my sister in despair and after a while of conversation the spike used to diminish greatly. So yes, I do have this same perception too.Take care.