Do You Think This Car I'm Buying Could Cause Hearing Loss Through Bone Conduction?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sean, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Hello All ,
      I had posted while back that I am getting audi R8 but was concerned about the loud noise since its a very loud car .
      I didn't go with audi but now buying Maserati Granturismo .
      It's way too loud of a car ..inside will be as high as 90-92.DB. I am going to wear ear plugs 100 % of the time.Do. You guys think it will still cause damage to my hair cell through bone conduction . outside it's very loud but inside it seems to have good insulation . So I don't think noise level will go more than 95. if wear ear plugs it will knock down 15 DB for sure . I am just concerned about noise through bone conduction.
      Please give me your opinion as soon as possible since I need to make a deal right away .

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Btw ..when car is parked my current car produces 70 DB when I step on the accelerator ..Maserati shows 85 DB. so 15 DB more when car is parked and when I stepped on accelerator .
      Not sure what Maserati noise level will be while driving .

3. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Lol everone got there own problems dont they..
      Dump the noisy car over quite one..
      Unnecessary risk in long term..

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      When the car was parked and i pressed accelerator i was inside the car and i measured Noise using my DB meter and it was 81-85 DB. I am thinking when the car is on the road..if you factor in noise of wind and tires plus car actually running it gotta make extra 8 to 10 DB.
      Would appreciate any inputs you or any one has.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      No one responding :(

6. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
    7. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm thinking of buying a Ferrari Testarossa. :rockingbanana:

8. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Get a quiet car. My friend drives a mustang v8 and that thing is loud i wont get in it cause its loud to begin with then even if he puts music
      On quietly its still loud. So whats the point? You can do what you want obviously but you could always buy a niceass car thats sporty and quiet :) i got a mustang v6 so its no louder then a ford focus. But sporty.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Just test drove it and noise level is actually 85 DB ..not bad because of I use ear plugs it should be really quite .
      Thank you for those who responded .

10. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      You are buying THIS CAR???!!!...Can I take the lady? I think she would be better for my tinnitus. Zim'

2014-10-06_2000.png

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. 111

111 Member

i suggest you get a car the same as mine below, very economical and attracts the ladies no end.

small-cars-011.jpg

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      Well whats more important the car or the fact that the car could easily worsen your tinnitus? I assume that your tinnitus must not be severe.

I would never dream of buying a car that was that loud. The vibration alone that the car produces will add to the overall effect on your ears plugged or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Jss - you think so ?it has very little vibration .
      I thought it was super loud ..I took it for test drive and max DB level was 85.
      When you say vibration ..what do you really mean ?

I am v v v protective of my ears now ..I wear ear plus every where I go .So would love opinion from others .

14. jss
      No Mood

jss Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise anxiety and antidepressants
      85 DB to an already compromised hearing system is way too much of a risk for me even with plugs and what you will never even be able to play the radio?

Save your money get a car at half the price and donate the balance what you would spent on the Maserati Granturismo to tinnitus research

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09-2013
      Noise wise....protection is the golden word...!

I drive a Husqvarna Nuda 900 with a stock exhaust. It is loud enough as it is. I would guess that it is near 90 dB 1 meter behind the bike. I invested allot of money in proper silent helmets and always drive with the best possible earplugs I can find! Normally my bike only starts to make "noise" when I pin the throttle.

I think the sole reason I bought this bike is that it sounds so goddamn brutal. So If you like it, buy it! Maybe spend some extra money in noise reduction. Typically the intake noise and exhaust noises are high, pretty cheap to get fixed (relative to the price tag of the car).

btw, donating a bit of money to tinnitus research is not a bad option off course!

Regarding bone conduction. I am not sure. I think any airborne noise does not does not transfer easily to the bone and finds its way to the inner ear. The whole ear is constructed to listen to airborne noise. The cochlea is constructed of a very hard material. There for it is unlikely that it will vibrate and cause noise input.

I would say that bone conducted noise must come from vibration mechanically introduced in the body (via the seat and steering wheel). These vibrations are far more likely (i guess) to enter the inner ear via the middle ear. Anyway, I would say that a car of this caliber does not have high levels of vibrations. You will be fine....

16. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      As far as I understand you can not protect against low frequency noise. That's why you can hear bass through walls, and not the other higher frequencies. Ears plugs are the same as those walls...low frequency sounds will penetrate them. I believe driving with ear plugs is kind of pointless for this reason. Road noise, engine noise (especially large engines) produce very low frequencies that ear plugs will do nothing against. I was looking at your original ride/idea before I got T- r8 with the v10, I opted out because I no longer give a shit about cars since tinnitus. If you still care that's a great thing! You are lucky! Good luck in your pick!

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      There sure are problems..... If you have a chance to buy a Maserati (my favorite car ever) i really
      wouldnt think about the decibels if i were you. Driving something like that is a thing 99.99% of the people will never experience. Buy it and post a photo of it here.

Maserati costs....well, a lot and proper earplugs do cost some 10 dollars.
      http://www.earplugstore.com/health-enterprises-acu-life-shooters-impact-ear-plugs.html

Oh, you might want to read this: http://www.bksv.com/NewsEvents/Waves/Waves_2014_1/03-quietest-car

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thank you guys!..Tellis I agree with what you are saying. Even though plugs dampens the noise and vibrations a lot ..it will not provide 100 % protection.
      Even if there is 1 % chance that it will increase my T - I wont take that chance.
      I am already making so many sacrifices ..not going to movies concerts weddings bars etc.
      My T is so sensitive to loud noises , I don't want to mess it up.

I will go with Maserati Ghibli which looks better and its 6 cylinder hence not loud.

I cant believe we have to make such sacrifices. Tellis I hope your T subsides. I read your post in other thread and I can feel your pain. I had "Mega T" for 4 months after not so loud concert. I don't wish that even upon my enemies.

Thank you guys again!!

19. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      I still think the girl is a safer bet...

Maserati Ghibli Wreck
      2014-10-07_1157.png

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      ha ha..i will stick with girl now !
      I will stick with very quite cars for now..

• Like Like x 1
    21. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Tinnitus should be measured in sones! - not dB.

How the test was performed

1.jpg
      Product Manager Krestian Møller Pedersen (left) and Application Engineer Nick Prgomelja (right) from Bruel & Kjær
      The tests were carried out by German magazine AUTO BILD in cooperation with Brüel & Kjær. As part of their luggage, the two engineers had brought with them the latest measuring equipment, specially designed for use in passenger cars. The Head And Torso Simulator (HATS) is placed in the front (or rear) of the vehicle, and picks up noises via microphones inside its head. In addition, a binaural headset was used, allowing one of the engineers to listen to the recordings. Both systems were connected via WLAN to a tablet PC, making it easy to monitor the measurements during the test drive. A prerequisite for an accurate measurement is the avoidance of unnecessary noise, so loose objects such as pens or key chains were not allowed in the test car. Each test run was carried out on the AUTO BILD test track in Bremerhaven by a test driver and an engineer.

This is how the points were awarded
      Measurements were accurately taken of where noise was generated and whether it disturbed the quiet atmosphere in the car
      The conclusion was the combined results of seven test events of different weighting. The inner sound (front of car) was measured for all candidates. In the case of constant speed driving, the average value of the results at speeds of 50, 100 and 130 km/h were evaluated. In the case of the zero to 100 km/h acceleration, the highest measurable value (peak) was evaluated. AUTO BILD determined the top speed results on the autobahn (German motorway). Speech intelligibility was judged on how well passengers managed to understand each other on the autobahn at a speed of 130 km/h. For many participants, this was not a problem. In fact, the only time a conversation was virtually impossible at high speeds was during the extremely noisy VW Beetle test drives. While measuring the auditory perception parameters, the subjective noise perceived for the 14 candidates throughout the entire test was assessed. Here, sound quality was the most important parameter. In the end, AUTO BILD preferred the V8 sound range of the Bentley to the V12 whisper of the Rolls Royce.
      The result
      2.jpg
      The car’s measurement results were tracked during the test drives using the Sonoscout™ iPad® app
      Precision microphones, sophisticated measuring software and attentive tester ears hear everything. Or too little, as in the case of the winner – the Mercedes S 500. The limousine marks the lower end of the current noise threshold when driving – it was even quieter than the Rolls Royce. The electric cars showed that a silent motor alone is no guarantee for in-car comfort – noise is also generated by wind and tyres.

How sound is measured

3.jpg
      Sound is pressure fluctuations that are perceived by our ears. A microphone converts pressure fluctuations into an electrical signal. Unwanted sound is called noise.
      Decibels, dB
      The strength of a sound or noise is measured in decibels (dB). The threshold of hearing is 0 dB, whispering 20 dB and a normal conversation around 50 dB.

A-weighting, dB(A)
      In addition to the strength of a sound, a human ear also perceives different tones, or pitches, differently. That is why the evaluation of sound is done using a weighting filter. The most common is the A-weighting filter, which mimics the response of the human ear and the sound is then expressed in dB(A).

Sone
      There are certain sound pitches that we perceive as more disturbing than others. In addition, we react in a more sensitive way when the sound strength is lower. The evaluation in sones connects the subjective human perception of sound with the sound pressure, which can be measured by our instruments. In acoustics, the sone is the unit of perceived loudness.One sone corresponds to 40 phon, which is the same as 40 dB(A) at 1000 Hz. Two sones are 50 phon and correspond to a doubling of the strength of the sound.

• Informative Informative x 1
    22. Danny
      Fine

Danny Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Why you buying a Ferrari?.....Your buddy there is going to build subways for everyone who lives in Toronto, right to your door......

23. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You mean Mayor Rob Ford ? Yeah isn't he great ? I'm tired of taking the dirty buses everywhere. Every major city has good subways systems (London, Moscow, NY), its time Toronto had the same.
      I love you Rob Ford! - Get well soon! (cancer diagnosis)
      As for the Ferrari, well I'll never get laid taking the subway.

24. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      A Maserati Granturismo? That sounds dangerous. If you want, have it delivered to me and I'll drive it for awhile to let you know how it is. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Great idea Michael ! Please wait for a delivery -:)

26. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Have you considered the tesla Super car? Can't remember the model. Very quick, very beautiful and insanely fast. Although not sure about charging stations? If you can get a home charger or how that works?

27. Michael2013
      Happy

Michael2013 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2013
      If this is just a car you will drive occasionally, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a daily driver and you expect to put a lot of miles on it, you may consider something quieter to give you peace of mind.

There are lots of fun high end cars that aren't as loud. Here one list of 30 quietest cars.

http://elevatingsound.com/the-top-30-quietest-cars-a-cabin-noise-test-by-auto-bild/

I expect by Spring I will be driving a '69 mustang with a 351w and flowmasters. It won't be a quiet car, but I won't drive it too often either.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Thanks Telis ..2014 GT is on sale now since they are trying to get 2015 models in .
      I just feel if I am so uncomfortable with buying ..I should just let it go and get Ghibly sq4 instead ..not a bad option ..it's a 4 door with decent shape .

29. SweetPeach

SweetPeach Guest

first world problems. which >$100K car to buy...

have you given even ten bucks to tinnitus research ?

30. Karl28
      No Mood

Karl28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2001 bad since 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music via headphones
      Why would you buy this car knowing and worrying about how loud it is???