Does any chemical help tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jamfer, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Jamfer

Jamfer Guest

Hi everybody. somebody get that phone. I've had T for 12 years. It started with 2 years of hyperacusis and the next 10 years the T faded slightly while I got used to constant ringing.
      Now it's not as much of an issue, but I still don't play in the band any more.
      A cure would let me go back to music, in fact I would pay a lot for something that actually worked.
      Jamfer

• Like Like x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Welcome on board! :)

What chemicals have made it worse for you?

One site I've found of help (in regards to specific information on t) is this: Tinnitus: Causes and Treatment

From those I've only tried Zinc, Magnesium and Ginkgo biloba. No noticeable effect, for the better or worse.

Last year there was news of the possibility of Pycnogenol improving tinnitus, a preliminary evaluation: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20657537

Other drugs are being evaluated in clinical trials, like Neramexane and AM-101.

Some have found help from Xanax (but so addictive and tolerance builds up quickly)...

Sometimes Clonazepam is tried for tinnitus, I've heard...
      Clonazepam in the pharmacological treatment of vertigo and tinnitus.
      I'm not a doctor or a scientist though so consider these just as collected information from the internet.

Welcome again, hope you find TT of use :)

3. stickywicket

stickywicket Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I just returned home from the office of a neurologist who told me that anti-depressants help tinnitus. BUT, rather than discuss neuro-pathways etc., he implied that the ringing was a symptom of my depression. I told him that I have had a bit of anxiety and depression in the past, and I am 99% sure that I do not have it now. He still offered to write me a prescription for Zoloft, which I declined.

4. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi!

Antidepressants help some people; in others, the drugs do nothing but may help their mood--which indirectly helps with tinnitus annoyance.

A few people report a worsening of their tinnitus with antidepressant treatments. Zoloft is an SSRI, a group of antidepressants that increases tinnitus in some people, but not in others. (Zoloft, I believe, is preferred to other SSRI's, like Prozac. But there are always exceptions.) The tricyclics are reported to help more tinnitus sufferers with their volume and annoyance. But the tricyclics have some nasty side effects--of course, most antidepressants cause adverse events. It's a matter of trade offs.

Of the tricyclics, I believe nortriptyline and amitryptyline are popular--the former is a newer tricyclic. I've never taken any antidepressants, but I know some people do think they help. And they help many people with sleep difficulties.