Does Anybody Do Beekeeping?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jcb, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jcb
      No Mood

Jcb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possible TMJ, came on after severe cold and chest infection,
      I’ve been reading a lot on beekeeping lately (sad I know) it’s always interested me, and since my social life has slowed dramatically :rolleyes: I’ve beeeee-n thinking about maybe... possibly... taking it up as a hobby.

Does anybody have any knowledge or has ever done beekeeping?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Great Idea...
      love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We will see if I can be a busy bee (horrible I know shame on me) few things I need to look into first and hopefully I’ll beeee a beeeekeeper (again apologies for my awful humour)

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      more buzzing...
      lol
      love glynis

5. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I got stung once. Does that count?

• Funny Funny x 2
    6. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      I have too. I was a part of a Future Farmers of America (FFA) when in highschool and I loved it. Not only that my grandparents have livestock and a huge farm. I love the life. It's hard but I love it. And I've always wanted to try bee keeping. But alas, now I live in the city and I can't do much. I don't have any land, let alone enough for something like bees. But maybe you should look into vermaculture. Aka worms. You can produce compost and worms for fishing and pet feed. And you don't need much space to do it. It's also very cheap compared to most livestock.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not exactly, hope it didn’t hurt too much though?? But thanks for your input Sugar it’s much appreciated :p

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It’s something I’ve always found so intriguing, but I was always on the go so didn’t think I would have that much time to fully commit. Obviously now I have T and my social life has slowed down considerably.... I think I may well give it a go. I’m lucky as I have more than enough room and it’s quite secluded where I am.
      That’s too bad, is there any type of allotments near you? Maybe start one there.
      I’ve been reading so much about it lately and think I will take the plunge and start with a little hive, it can be quite expensive though. I’ll have a look at vermaculture, I don’t know much at all about it.

Thanks for the input Taylor, it’s much appreciated.

9. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Jcb we have had a bee hive removed from our attic. And another removed from a hedge outside. We call this local bee keeper person who takes the hives home if they are honey bees. If not they remove the hive and take them and set them free in an open area.

Swarming bees are really interesting. A swarm looks like a loud buzzing black cloud.

It seems to be a good business for the bee keeper!

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See as much as I’m interested in bees, don’t think I would want them living in my house.... Without charging some rent anyway haha
      It’s nice you got them removed professionaly, some would try to destroy the hive themselves.
      Yes the swarming hives can look like small buzzing clouds, I like that comparison Star very descriptive :) They are normally docile when you see them swarm like that apparently (my brain has some trouble retaining information since I got T so I could be completely wrong)
      Do they charge much to remove them? I would guess it’s a good business for them indeed.

11. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      They charged about $200 dollars to remove the LARGE hive in our attic. A bit less for the hedge hive.

There were thousands of bees! It is a problem in this area. My neighbor across the street just had the same issue in her back yard.

They come out at sundown when the bees return to the hive. They put on bee keeping suits and cover the hive. It is very weird but interesting to watch the process. But I like knowing the bees are all freed or taken to their honey bee site.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      They must make a nice little living charging that much per removal plus the honey they must make as well.....

I’ve actually never watched a removal of a hive, I don’t think it’s as big of an issue here in the UK, not that Im aware of anyway.
      Tbh Star, I’m not entirely sure if I’m allergic or not?? Don’t remember ever getting stung so I think I might have to get checked out to see if I am.... might make things a bit more difficult if I am (or things could come to a “sticky” end for me :ROFL:)

13. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use

There are no allotments near me. I live in the heart of the city. I could grow plants vertically or do vermiculture but the problem is vermiculture at my own home instead of my high school is that, I don't own a shade house. Florida is incredibly hot year round. I'd need to build something for shade or something that keeps a good amount of the heat away from the worms. And bee's are an obvious hazard living in such a small area.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That’s too bad, I understand, don’t think your neighbors would appreciate a bee colony somehow especially in a small space. You could build a little shelter, that shades the worms etc but I suppose it depends on the humidity as well and as you said Florida is hot all year round. I’m sure there would be a way to work round it. If you do decide to give it a go, let me know how you get on.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jcb
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Got tested a few weeks back to see if I was allergic to bees as I couldn’t ever remember being stung before...... I’m allergic :rolleyes: oh well I’ll look for another hobby eh