Does Anyone Experience an Additional Sound When Yawning or Rubbing the Ear?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marcuseva03, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Marcuseva03

Marcuseva03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Hi guys.

Does anyone hear any weird sound just by yawning or by rubbing the area outside your ear(ear lobe, etc)

My tinnitus stays the same. But i have additional sound whenever i do the above actions.

Thnks for your reply.

2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Yes, it'called somatic T and it's quite common among T sufferers.
      But the constant sound is the real problem, the extra ones can be avoided.
      I wished I could give you more information about somatic T, but it's not clear for me either.
      There are threads about somatic T.

3. LillianLexicon97
      Depressed

LillianLexicon97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise: Headphones
      Yes, since I got T I always have an additional noise from yawning.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      When yawning you over stretch your mouth and put pressure on your jaw joint that is right by your middle ear so can cause extra sound....lots if love glynis

5. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Who can explain why before T onset yawning didn't elicit a sound, and after T it does?

6. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      All I can say is that now you have tinnitus their will he a few things that can ramp up your tinnitus volume or alter the sound...lots of love glynis

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Dr susan shore has a theory on somatic t.

Reduced external auditory input to the brain causes the somatic nervous system to compensate.

8. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @DebInAustralia

I think you posted her theory on this forum somewhere, if I am not mistaken, but sometimes there was no variation in external auditory input, at least in my case it wasn't.

9. Nucleo

Nucleo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2011
      You don't know that. A simple audiogram cannot rule that out.

10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      T involves parts of your brain (ie nucleus accumbens) that are responsible for your t awareness.

Recent studies have found that this part of the forebrain is activated in those with t and chronic pain.

Your brain has reorganised itself in response to a change in your auditory system (maladaptive plastic changes)

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marcuseva03

Marcuseva03 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2015
      Any chance to rearrange those parts of the brain back?

I suffered a suddenly hearing loss of my left ear. But i have tinnitus on my healthy right ear too. So basically it does not really have much to do with the ear and everything to do with the brain yeah.

12. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      In theory the plasticity of the brain should make it possible for T to be undone or reversed. Unfortunately nobody yet knows how this could be achieved.

13. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      @Tweaker
      Yes, I heard about a theory like this, with neuroplsticity having a chance of being reversed. By practicing sound therapy. Hearing pleasent low volume music (on earphones, I suppose, but don't remember exactly) a long period of time.
      Makes sense to me.

In one theory that I read that tried to explain somatic T by neuroplasticity, (wrong neural connections/synapses made between the nerve that conveys signal from the muscles to the brain and the acoustic nerve, nerves that are extremely close to each other when they enter the brainstem, so such connections are not impossible) a solution was suggested through sound therapy.

Let's think about it: a muscle is contracted and that fact is reported back to the brain through a signal that travels through the appropriate nerve, but because that nerve has synapses with the acoustic nerve, the signal continues on a wrong route along the acoustic nerve, and, because of that, the signal is interpreted as coming from the auditory system and gets translated into...sound.

This is one theory that tries to explain why contraction of some muscles provoke sound.

If we used sound therapy, so if we have sound traveling through the acoustic nerve almost all the time, when a signal from a contracted nerve tries to take the wrong route on the acoustic nerve, it will find that pathway "busy" and chances are it will continue it's way through the normal pathway.

If this thing is repeated long enough, chances are those bad synapses will get unraveled, because, as we know, a synapse that is not used, therefore reinforced, disappears. (That's how we forget things we didn't repeat for a long time, the synapses weakened or were unraveled)

So that would be a theoretical solution to reverse the bad neuroplasticity changes.

If somebody tries it, please send me a message about whether he obtained resuls or not.

I heard about sound therapy also as a proposed method to eliminate T.