Does Anyone Find That Exercise Actually Helps?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tim Hogan, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Tim Hogan
      No Mood

Tim Hogan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cold/Flu (Minor) >>> Botched Acoustic Reflex Test (Severe)
      I've seen many posts around the web about people talking about how exercise can aggravate, or even cause Tinnitus.

Anyone find it actually helps?

For me it seems to help, i test it (in moderation because i don't want to jinx it). e.g I'll do 10-20 push ups at a time, stop and listen, and the sound will seem bigger for a bit, then dampen down to a lower level that its base, sometimes even vanish entirely.

Just wondering if this is common, because I've only read that it makes it worse for a lot of people.

This sounds like something that would be linked to Pulsate Tinnitus, but mine was caused by Sound/Infection, so i don't know.

I'd be pretty happy if this is my cure, so i can one get rid of it and 2 get healthy haha.

2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      It does happen to me as well and I strongly believe it is related to blood flow.
      Problem is, it would be impossible to pinpoint the exact location of the problem area (carotids, thyroid vessels, brain arteries etc) so it would be very hard to get rid of it.
      And I've tried.

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exercise because it's good for you, and stop deliberately monitoring your tinnitus all the time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Start with a good calisthenics routine for beginners, you can do all bodyweight exercises at home and play music at softer levels, just invest in a good pull-up bar and assist straps.
      If T spikes, it is only temporary.

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah I've had to stop lifting, I loose hearing and get extreme ear pain when I do for some strange reason. Kinda hard not to monitor that, don't wanna be totally wreckless. I do a lot of hill walking/running and tennis lately, even that creates some kind of pressure build up, ear pain, lowered hearing, but at the same time I can't sit around either.

If you have a had head injury causing T, exercise is a no no. In most sports, if you get hit and have ringing in the ears it's quiet time, no working out, nothing. You go home and sit in a quiet dark place and hope it stops. You don't get out there and not monitor (ignore) the situation.

6. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      I believe the OP said that exercising is actually lowering his tinnitus.

7. KyushuKris

KyushuKris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2005
      It does nothing for the actual T but it has massive benefits in terms of the endorphin rush and having another goal in my life (getting a nice bod) and that in itself helps to stop me jumping out the window when I'm feeling down over this f*cking annoyance in my ears 24/7

8. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      Ive been in and out of the gym all my life and it has been very beneficial physically and mentally. I get a slight increase in my T after a workout and it goes back to baseline or slightly below within an hour or two. Funny thing even when I listened for T 24-7 when I first got T I never heard it when working out. Big help for me plus got rid of stress and makes you sleep better...

• Like Like x 1