Does anyone have music on for the entire night?

Discussion in 'Support' started by object16, Dec 30, 2013.

1. object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      Hi, I read a post here about playing music on at night to help with sleep, and I also found research article on net about treating tinnitus with music.

So one month ago, I felt I had nothing to lose, and so I had my daughter prepare an mp3 file of easy listening Enya music.

I play the music on quiet, for the entire night. Also, at the same time I have a white noise machine, and I also play a CD of Restful Rain - constant rain sound. I keep the white noise and rain at a low level, around the same level as my tinnitus.

Within a couple of weeks I felt there was some improvement in my sleep, but still I am not sleeping the entire night. I often wake up at 2 a.m. and take another medication to help me get back to sleep.

Is there anyone else here that uses music for the entire night? And what has been the result.

The reason I ask is that last night I woke up in the middle of the night and my tinnitus was suddenly WORSE! And I suddenly got worried that my music was set too loud and I may have harmed my hearing and made matters worse. This is despite checking the level when I go to bed, and set at reasonable quiet so I can make out the music but I just set it quietly. Yet when I got up in the middle of the night - 2 things: my tinnitus was worse, and the music sounded far too loud!

I am just so confused and worried so I wonder if there is anyone else here that uses music at night for sleep.

Thanks, pm.

2. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I have a sound system set up in my room that plays sounds of rain all night long (About 12 hours). It is loud, but not too loud. I'm sure yous just sounded louder when you woke up because there were no other sounds around in the middle of the night, so the auditory gain seemed larger. It's fine. Trust in yourself that you know what volume you need. We're all sensible people here and I highly doubt that anyone here would ever listen to music so loud that it damaged their hearing! You're fine!

3. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      I used to work midnights and HAD to wear headphones to get to sleep in the daytime. Often my tinnitus was worse when I woke up and even though I thought I had the music 'down,' it wasn't down far enough. That experience taught me that environmental sounds are probably hurting my ears every day, so I am very cautious and avoid and anticipate loud sounds in the world. "Sounds are worse than they seem" is not the same as "Things are worse than they seem." Being cautious is not a worrisome task, it's a feeling of control over tinnitus.. to me.
      Things in my life are better because I simply am careful with my ears. It's a good habit now. And it came from recognizing this phenomena that during sleep sounds 'grow' louder through the night. The problem with music is that there are so many frequencies going in different directions spontaneously. So, music should be approached with extra caution. To me, music is right up there with a cannon blast or a jackhammer.

To make a long story short, I could've just said, Turn it down, then turn it down again.

4. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      I have ambient nature sounds at an extremely low level on all night most nights. I position my iPad between my pillow and the head board, but with the speaker facing me. It's turned on one to two levels above silent. My husband can't hear it because it's so low. I find my T is barely audible by waking time and sometimes I can even turn it off during the night. I don't believe my T has ever been worse in the morning than it was the night before.

5. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Sounds like a great setup.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Misery
      Happy

Misery Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 26, 2013
      Thank you @I who love music. I had one night about two weeks into T where I awakened 6 times with the screeching. The next night I tried my iPad set up and slept like a baby. Its been good ever since and getting better.

7. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Very encouraging.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      During the night, the audio cortex turns the volume up of all sounds including the tinnitus(something coming from the cave age i guess...), that's why tinnitus is always louder at night.

if you wake up and do something else in another room, within minutes you'll notice it'll go down to its normal level.

9. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Very interesting. I get it. So we can hear night time predators. Stupid evolution!

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      object16
      Magical

object16 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      overuse of hearing protection, plus noise
      Hi, I Who Love Music! I am just like you in being super cautious with sound, including music.

I have been like you, and been really really cautious with ALL sounds. And I think Neenie is right - I was super careful to adjust the volume of the music so that it is quiet so that I can barely hear it, so looking back I am sure it could not be too loud -

Because I have been so cautious with my hearing for the past 4 months, possibly my hearing acuity is slightly better, even though they say hair cells can't regenerate, it is possible my hair cells were "injured" and not quite dead yet, and maybe they are coming to life.

Anyway, last night I did pretty well. I kept the music on, until my mp3 player battery died.

Really nice to hear you all chime in.

11. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      After 40 years of playing this game, I know this ... ears must be protected, especially after a spike. I think you're right, they will heal, if they're there.