Does Anyone Know Why It Appears or Not After Sleep?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cicada_Ears, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Cicada_Ears
      Bookworm

Cicada_Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2013
      I've checked some other forums and people seem to wake up with the noise even after a short nap. Sometimes I'm afraid to go to sleep.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Yes, that happens quite a bit unfortunately. I been trying to get all the fluid out of my inner ear to see if that helps. Cicada sounds in your ears or head aren't very pleasant. I had a recent post that described the reason for some of the noises from ETD. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-earpopper-machine.1061/#post-36217

3. Relic Hunter
      Cynical

Relic Hunter Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1990
      The only way I have found to help reset my tinnitus to a lower level is sleep..However this sleep must be of a duration whereas I go into a deep sleep pattern. Short naps will more often than not cause the T. to worsen. When I awake from a deep sleep the T. in almost all cases will be low for awhile.

The short afternoon naps I once enjoyed and needed are now a thing of the past.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Yeah, I've had that happen during myriad power naps; not sure why. I've gotten to the point that nothing stops me from my precious sleep :sleep:; it's the one thing I'm good at :)

5. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      No more naps here either. Makes my T louder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      My t always wakes me out of my sleep at around 3am every morning, blaring much louder than normal.
      I have wondered why this is. Some possible reasons I came across online were:
      Eustachian Tube Blockage - we don't tend to swallow etc enough during sleep, so our ears are somewhat blocked and the inner sounds are amplified.
      Brain Scan - as we wake, our brain does a self scan and checks in with the frequency loss, therefore amps up the compensatory tinnitus.
      Cervical/TMJ - positions we sleep in could put pressure on ear mechanisms - especially if there are misalignments of the jaw/tmj/C0/C1/C2 vertebrae.
      It may be one or a combination or none of these. But it would be a very good topic for the researchers to explore.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AliHT
      Amused

AliHT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I have the opposite of everyone here, my tinnitus actually decreases after a good night sleep(to the point where I think it's gone). Weird huh.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cicada_Ears
      Bookworm

Cicada_Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2013
      Last night I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up with it. I had to take Ambien to go to sleep after going to bed. I have it this morning.
      I probably hit all reasons to have it. I quit smoking in 2007. I started back in 2012. In 2007, I took Chantix, miracle drug, great sleep, and great dreams. I have taken Chantix four times since 2012 but due to my husband continuing, extreme stress, I've failed. I have high blood pressure, Insomnia, anxiety and have taken Klonopin for ten years, hate my job, family dysfunction, loss, disappointment, and I cannot take antidepressants because they have a terrible reaction on me. I am Vegetarian and take vitamins and supplements. I do not use caffeine or salt. I watch sodium intake and try to never consume artificial sweeteners. I rarely have alcohol. I am and have been very in tune to my body. The worse is I have always disliked repetitive noise so this is getting the best of me. It is ruining my life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Chantal
      Digging it

Chantal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      I wake up with hissing in my head every day, and I must say it is not something that makes me happy at all. I have to work at being positive and count my blessings, so I remember that this tinnitus is not the only thing that is going on, and then I can move on with my day.
      If I do not work at having positive thoughts, my day is pretty much going downhill. So I guess that is the secret for me : focusing on things that make me happy, so that this constant invasion in my head does not ruin it.
      Hope this helps...

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      Same here - my T gets louder when I sleep and wake up during the night. I suspect for me it might be a neck problem, bruxism + my brain 'dropping down the guards' and it thus detects the T sound as a threat more easily than during the day.

I have lately tried different pillows to see if it helps. No miracles there yet. L-Tryptofan seems to work better than melatonin for me. If I take melatonin, I wake up around 3am and it's hard to get back to sleep after that.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      The mornings for me after a good nite sleep is the best time for me my T is always very low after a good nite sleep then as the day goes on it gets louder and louder or the perception is that it gets louder.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cicada_Ears
      Bookworm

Cicada_Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2013
      If I get solid sleep I don't hear it when I wake up. Today, I didn't have it but took a nap for 15 minutes and I work up with it. Thanks for all the replies.

13. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Seems like light sleep makes it louder, deeper sleep makes it better. In deeper sleep, the brain maybe puts t to the background, but in lighter sleep, it scans itself for malfunctions.
      Problem is, t may change the blood flow/oxygen to the brain to cause lighter sleep. Who knows!
      If we can sort out how to get a deeper sleep (even with t), maybe we would not be waking up at 3am with screaming t.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      When I wake up in the morning, sometimes my tinnitus is extremely faint... sometimes I even think it might be gone. But sure enough, after a few hours, it's undeniably back. It's very frustrating.

I'm not sure why this happens, but it seems like some people on here have some good theories. But for the most part, I've learned to cope as much as I can with my tinnitus. But the real challenge I have is what to do during those times when my tinnitus seems louder than usual? Also, I seem to be able to manipulate the sound just a little by positioning my jaw differently, like if I open my mouth and move my jaw to the left or right. Does that mean anything?

15. Hattukoira
      Tired

Hattukoira Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2010
      After a light sleep (or a nap) = my T is very loud
      After a deep sleep = my T is super low

oh and I don't use any masking device or fan when sleeping because my T will get louder(can't mask it) and because I can't get into a deep sleep when there is sounds in my room.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. dochoppy
      No Mood

dochoppy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, drug combo?
      Yes, I don't take naps anymore, my T gets much worse even after a short nap. It is better after a good sleep, but unfortunately with T that doesn't happen often. The viscous cycle. sleep makes T better, but it is the one thing is prevents a lot of us from getting.

17. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Yes, a terrible vicious circle, the more tired you get, the higher T goes and more difficult to fall asleep, and once your T is high you can't fall asleep and get even more tired, T goes higher, etc.
      I need medicines to have a good sleep (I uese Rivotril/Clonazepam).
      Once I had a very good, deep sleep after a bottle of Bailey and when I woke up I had no T (for a while). I think that's happened because I slept very deep. I was afraid to try it again though. I have a liver to take care of too. Alcohol is not good.
      One time I was so upset and, as I gave up smoking because of T, I drank two bottles of beer. My T spiked immediately and I had a hard time falling asleep.
      Yeap, you're so right, dochoppy, T is a vicious cycle.

18. Kathi
      Balanced

Kathi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/30/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HFHL and stress
      My T resets after sleep. If I sleep 7-8 hours I wake with just a ringing sound--even if it was at ultra electrostatic when I went to sleep. Sometimes now it stays low about 3 days a week. Naps are different. If I take a nap my T will be ringing when I wake up. Last week was the first time that I took a nap and woke up with my T at its lowest. I'm hoping that's a good sign. I also had another first--I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't hear it at all until I listened for it. My bad--I have to teach myself not to seek it out.

19. Sound Wave
      Curious

Sound Wave Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    20. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      If I have a good sleep, then when I wake, up at any time 3.30, 6.00. or any other time , often my T is low almost noticeable If I get up then it stays quiet all day long. If I try to get even an extra 5 minutes of sleep instead, it starts ringing again.The same happens when I take a five minute nap in the afternoon.Very peculiar situation.I wish i knew the answer.

21. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I have a good sleep, then when I wake, up at any time 3.30, 6.00. or any other time , often my T is low almost noticeable If I get up then it stays quiet all day long. If I try to get even an extra 5 minutes of sleep instead, it starts ringing again.The same happens when I take a five minute nap in the afternoon.Very peculiar situation.I wish i knew the answer.

22. fhs
      Fine

fhs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gun range
      Unless the minimum masking level changes then it's all in your head. I would just get a good night's sleep. Serotonin and dopamine could have something to do with this. Both deal with sleep regulation and may interact with T.

23. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If I nod off in the afternoon, it's horrific on waking!

24. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:

25. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I have a good sleep, then when I wake, up at any time 3.30, 6.00. or any other time , often my T is low almost noticeable If I get up then it stays quiet all day long. If I try to get even an extra 5 minutes of sleep instead, it starts ringing again.The same happens when I take a five minute nap in the afternoon.Very peculiar situation.I wish I knew the answer.I manage for 3 days running to get up as soon as I woke up and I had a good day.On the fourth day I woke up at 2 am and could not possibly get up so early. So the answer is to find a way to sleep for 6 hours or longer continually.

26. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I have a good sleep, then when I wake, up at any time 3.30, 6.00. or any other time , often my T is low almost noticeable If I get up then it stays quiet all day long. If I try to get even an extra 5 minutes of sleep instead, it starts ringing again.The same happens when I take a five minute nap in the afternoon.Very peculiar situation.I wish I knew the answer.I manage for 3 days running to get up as soon as I woke up and I had a good day.On the fourth day I woke up at 2 am and could not possibly get up so early. So the answer is to find a way to sleep for 6 hours or longer continually.

27. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus: