Does Anyone's Tinnitus Resemble a Light Saber or a Dryer Rumbling?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Linzetta, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Linzetta

Linzetta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      My tinnitus started a week ago. It sounds like a light saber or a dryer rumbling in my head. It is not a constant tone. It sounds like the light saber maybe like when it is moved back and forth and the tone fluctuates. Almost like Morse code?? And the tone is a deep low rumbling drumming sound. I have yet to see anyone about it as I’m waiting for appt with ENT but holy crap, I don’t know that I can live with this like some of you have for years. It seems like there is little hope for this ever stopping and I’m only a week in.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      For most people, tinnitus gets better. I realize how difficult it is only having had it for a week, but things change and chances are it will change in time for you as well.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I've had "the hum" for 12 years. Believe me you can get used to it. It's known as Pulsatile Tinnitus. I find mine a lot less bother than the medium and high tones I got this year.

Have you been exposed to loud noise recently? If not then you will probably be referred for an MRA scan which is similar to an MRI, just to rule out any possible causes. Try not to stress about it and to get enough sleep - easier said than done I know.

Does the sound stop when someone talks to you? You may find listening to an audiobook helps you to be distracted from it enough to fall asleep more easily.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linzetta

Linzetta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      @Mister Muso

Wow, 12 years makes my stomach drop. It really sounds like this shit never does go away for most people.
      I’ve had horrible hay fever allergies since August and some intense congestion. As far as exposure to noise just my two loud screamer children for a few years. I didn’t know this could be pulsatile since I believed that to be in rhythm with your pulse. The hum does stop when loud enough sound is around me. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me but I fear you’ve made the nauseating anxiety quite a bit worse. I’m so sorry you’ve dealt with this for so long.

5. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      Hi @Linzetta

I'm sorry I wasn't more helpful to you in my post. I typed it in a bit of a hurry to be honest. Some of us long-termers get a bit blase sometimes, but I do understand it's a difficult thing to deal with. I would say it did get less loud over time, as most tinnitus does. Look at posts from some of the frequent posters here like @Michael Leigh about habituation and staying positive.

I have a lot of congestion too which can indicate a Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD). My ENT doctor didn't think it was severe enough for him to treat however - but I find steam inhalations helpful, and a steroidal nasal spray called Beconase which could also help settle tinnitus too by increasing bloodflow in the eustachian tube.

Mine was definitely triggered by loud noise. I don't wish to alarm you further, but a child screaming directly into your ear can be enough to cause damage. You may wish to invest in some earplugs - use the search facility in this forum, there are lots of recommendations. It could be advisable to have them in your pocket so you can put them in if you are going to be in a noisy environment.

We all have to strike a balance between informing and protecting ourselves, without making ourselves be in a constant state of fear and hypervigilance. It's a rough road sometimes, but many thousands have habituated and been able to carry on living a satisfying life.

Wishing you peace,
      Graham

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linzetta

Linzetta Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      @Mister Muso

oh no need to apologize. I’m just in negative spiraling mode and in search of similar stories to mine that bring a lot of hope. I really appreciate you taking the time to support.

• Like Like x 1
    7. DidIWin

DidIWin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 1st, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music from Club
      Hey, mine use to be much worst than that during my first week. I’m talking like a fire alarm just Wild. You best believe I was panicking. My T went away after a few weeks. If mine can go away and many others, yours can too

8. bedalus

bedalus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma
      Hey, I just joined this forum, and your tinnitus description is just like mine! Mine started around the same time as yours too. It was driving me crackers. My doctor put me on mirtazapine to help me relax, and my mood has improved although the tinnitus has not. Did you make any progress yourself?