Does Combining Earplugs and Earmuffs Give More Protection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Badger19, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Badger19

Badger19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello all.

In the years after getting tinnitus (at age 22) I still went clubbing with a friend. I always used my custom made plugs and just left when I thought the noise was too loud.

A few months ago my tinnitus got worse after clubbing. Worse than that, I got a new friend named hyperacusis. I decided to completely stop clubbing and the like.

However, one of my dear friends is getting married soon. He asked me to be his best man. I'm extremely happy about this, but at the same time scared. I don't want to leave the wedding early. He also has some slight tinnitus and assured me the music wouldn't be extremely loud. While I believe him, we all know what small errors can do to our ears.

He suggested wearing ear muffs and using plugs once the music gets started. I have no idea if this would work. I was hoping if some people here have already tried it out.

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      5CqJgTW.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
    3. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Yes, ear plugs combined with ear muffs will give more protection than either alone. However, they are not additive, and the NRR is the highest one, with the additional protection adding about 4 more NRR to the equation. This is so called double protection.

I use double protection when mowing the lawn, as with ear plugs alone I did get a slight increase in T for a few minutes after, and this solved it for me. One theory is that the muffs protect a larger portion of the ear area of the skull, and reduce the sound entering the ear via bone conduction.

https://www.noisehelp.com/double-hearing-protection.html

No one can guarantee your safety, as we have no way of knowing how loud the event is, how long it is, and how reactive you are to loud sounds.

Think carefully on this one, as the only safe move is to stay home. Also be prepared to leave if you decide to go, and there have been some tales of folks doing these things, getting intoxicated, and ending up with noise exposure with seriously worsening of their spikes for the long term.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. RichardGuy
      Depressed

RichardGuy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/16/17, At Age 20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acute
      I personally recommend wearing high end ear plugs (the ones that offer 30+ NRR db). The muffs will add protection on top of that, and that's what I do for most loud things, but I would prefer to not wear muffs to a wedding my own friend has told me will not be loud

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Badger19

Badger19 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Why not? I trust my friend, but I don't trust the DJ. He can turn up the volume any time. Plus my friend will probably be drunk :beeranimation:

Thanks for the info, I'm gonna check everything out.

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      If you decide to go, would also recommend frequent breaks, as in going outside every hour to rest your ears in between. The constant loud noise is so damaging. Also, use an earplugs that is NRR 33 like max1, or moldex meteors, fully inserted and in place before even setting foot in the place and not to be removed until fully over. Also, look into Peltor X5A for the muff.

• Helpful Helpful x 1