Does Everyone Experience Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dishman, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Dishman
      Wishful

Dishman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Wondering if everyone experiences ringing of the ears, even people that are unaware of "tinnitus". Have we all just focused "in" on these dreaded sounds that were always there? When we want them to be there...?

2. MT09
      Inspired

MT09 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress induced.
      I'd say yes to that. My mother has been having T since 5 years. I joined this forum sometime in August, to get to know more about the T and help others if needed. And surprisingly, I got my T a few days ago, something I never expected, and not so soon anyway. But before I got my T, I always used to hear a very faint ringing sound in my ears. I could hear it only in very silent areas. That sound exists to most of the people, but they don't notice it much. T is definitely different from it though.

3. Bells

Bells Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I did not have ringing before. I used to wear earplugs to bed because of street noise. Since the night I got tinnitus, if I plug my ears I hear loud ringing. So no more earplugs. It was a distinct difference in my case, however, I do think for some people it can come on gradually and at some point you become aware of it.

4. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Yes. I think everyone has it. It's funny. After my accident happened. I have been talking a lot with my girlfriend about tinnitus. And now, even she can hear some ringing in her head.

The last two days. I have been more successful in ignoring my tinnitus. I have actually ignored it to the point that I can't hear it at all. Not even as a background noise. If I start to think about it again, its back.

I also believe that if you put negative emotions and fear towards your tinnitus, it gets stronger and louder. I have been down that road.

Try this exercise:

Every time you get bothered by your tinnitus. Stop, take a deep breath. Think for yourself: "Its just a sound, it can't harm me. I have no control over it, and if I stop desire for it to go away. I will not suffer". I have done this a lot the last days. And it is really helpful. It's hard in the beginning. Life is not always easy, but that is a good thing. If there was no suffering, how could we really enjoy the good moments in life?

• Like Like x 2
    5. Tamalak
      Volatile

Tamalak Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2011
      I recall reading a study that put people in a completely quiet room. Something like 93% of them reported hearing some ringing or buzzing in their ears. So yes, just about everyone has it. I suppose that may be part of the reason it isn't taken seriously in research - everyone has it, almost nobody is bothered by it, so how is it a problem? Well, it's a problem because the volume is way different..

• Like Like x 1
    6. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Tamalak I agree, even some of my doctors said that they have it too. I guess I need to say more about the volume.

7. william adams
      Wishful

william adams Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one week after leg surgery plus hearing loss in higher freq.
      When I first noticed my T it was a light hiss and then I listened for it all the time and became obsessed with it listening for it day and night. We obviously make it louder listening for it and getting all stressed out about it and feeding the brain with this fight or flight mental phenomina. Eight monthes in and dont really hear it half of the time and when I do im not stressed out about it. I can hone in on birds chirping and not hear the T. I think when you come to terms that T is not going to hurt you you listen for it less when paying attention to other things or sounds. With me every week seem s to get a little bit better and hopefully one day I wont hear it at all... My T is high pitched and could hear over the TV, car and only in the shower I couldnt hear it.

8. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah everyone has this, we are all just mentally insane here at TT. No awareness, no research, no treatments, nothing needed, it's all just a normal thing that everyone has. Go out and damage the shit out of your ears, pile on the ototoxic meds, don't worry, tinnitus is there already so no risk of worsening or even getting it as there is nothing to get if its already there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Then I noticed your cause of tinnitus. You may well have had something oto-toxic intraoperatively (Doctors wouldn't know or much care), and when you "noticed" your tinnitus its because the initial neurological damage which may have begun in or near the time of surgery was cascading upwards and crossed the threshold where tinnitus became evident. You became obsessed because we all have a limbic response that forces it to our attention as an alien threat (which as far as the autonomic bran is concerned, it is). Since then your brain has learned to categorize it as non-threatening and has stood itself down because it knows you are experiencing some recovery. Sometimes all it takes is a seemingly benign drug being injected too quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      There is a massive difference between tinnitus and head noise. Most people will be able to barely perceive a hiss, buzz, or ring in a dead silent anechoic chamber. A problem arises when you can hear sounds like these anywhere, or when head noise is accompanied by other symptoms.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yeah totally agree but I still don't think that all people have T. Right after I damaged my ears, I had no T but hearing loss. I went for a hearing test and there is no way in hell I heard anything in that room, no hissing nothing, just dead silence. At the most I may have been straining to detect beeps and could have maybe imagined something and hit the button at the wrong time, but that's it.

12. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      I agree with you. I know exactly what life was like before T. I reveled in silence.

13. Vaba
      Shitfaced

Vaba Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Gradual, Progressive
      I didn't explain how tinnitus worked in my post. I mean, I'm smart, but If I was smart enough to know the mechanics behind why tinnitus starts for some people days, months, nay, years after a hearing loss incident, but doesn't start for others, I'd be a Nobel prize winner and tinnitus would probably be cured.

Check out this video, Telis - SPECIFICALLY the time 5 minutes 43 seconds into it. This man, Veritasium, is a highly intelligent Youtuber whom I love, and he makes solely scientific videos. Even he, who doesn't have any significant hearing issues, is able to perceive a hiss in -7dB silence - which he postulates is "from hearing loss." He also feels vibrating, which many of us feel. Head noise is innate to being human. Tinnitus is an injury.

He says there isn't "pure silence" at the end.

Can Silence Actually Drive You Crazy?