Does Having One Kind of Tinnitus Make You More Susceptible to Other Kinds?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cal18, Dec 23, 2016.

?

Have there been different causes to your worsening other than your original cause?

1. No, a reintroduction to the same cause usually makes it worse

2. Yes, now I am more sensitive to other causes and have mixed tinnitus (meds, noise, TMJ, etc.)

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      For example, I had SSRI withdrawal induced T. Then I noticed it would get louder upon using the hairdryer but then go back down. Would this mean I can now have sound induced tinnitus or is that reaction just typical of all T? My new onset was either caused by a med reaction or a benzo (I'm assuming since it's obvious that's my sensitivity).

However, I've been clenching my jaw, could my recent onset be caused by this? If so, I strongly doubt that if I didn't have T to start, I wouldn't get it from something like neck pain or jaw clenching.

Basically, has anyone ever had one type of tinnitus (let's say med induced) and then got another type (like sound induced or TTTS)?

2. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      First got my T from SSRI withdrawal as well which impaired my high frequency hearing.

Exposure to loud noise made it worse a month ago. So different causes but in the end they do the same I guess: damaging the hair cells.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      Thanks @Rubenslash, we have similar circumstances.