Does Masking Tinnitus Make It Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by LovesToTeach, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      Hi @LadyDi

Well I mask in a sense through the day by keeping busy, working, radio and TV. My tinnitus isn't too bad, or that's what I tell myself, so I don't hear it much. On a night I initially started to mask with a radio, but my gut feel is for helping reduce the volume, or even potentially get rid of it, your brain plasticity has to get involved, which I assume isn't happening if you mask all the time. I therefore try to tune it out with distraction, breathing etc.

Hope this helps.

Matt

2. AyameNoop

AyameNoop Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2015
      I tried making using ambient noise and white/pink noise with mixed results;

at best my T disappears during the duration of the making and comes back almost immediately after the masking track ends.

at worst I can hear my T over the masking track (resilient bugger :()

found a new track recently that seems to help dampen the T a bit, hope it lasts

3. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I've had a gas heater on lately with the cold weather here and it seems to help mask my tinnitus pretty good. It has a low humming sound, do you think this could possibly make T worse? I've had a spike recently and I just wanna make sure it isn't from this, I doubt it is but you never know. But I've had an ear infection too so I'm assuming my spike is probably from that.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Matt01 Completely masking tinnitus with another sound so it can't be heard is not a good idea, as the brain will not be able to habituate to it. This is mentioned in many tinnitus books. It is advisable to use sound enrichment instead. Setting the external sound source slightly below the tinnitus. Whether using: music, sound machine etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I too find that my tinnitus gets louder if I try a masking device - although this only lasts for around 10-30 minutes until it settles back again to whatever pitch or amplitude I am unlucky enough to hear on that particular day.
      The first tinnitus I ever had was only a reactive tinnitus to outside sounds. If I spent the whole day in a very quiet environment, I wouldn't even hear it!?!?!

6. Fung Chow

Fung Chow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi Michael,
      I am listen to white noise from my ipad with earphone on very low volume at night time to help me, with T sounds at the background. Is it a good idea to listen white noise or relax music when I am sleeping? I constant to hear hissing sound in my left ear the sound is very mild and low, but at the night time when I am tired the T becomes louder and noticeable. At the moment I am suffering insomnia and I find it very difficult to get some sleep.

Can you please advise me what to do?

Thank you

7. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi @Fung Chow,
      I don't think Michael is still posting on the forum as hes very busy and gave as much advice as he can with his articles.
      To answer your question listening to the sounds very softly through earphones is ok for most people but if you intend to play them all night for that length of time its best to use pillow speakers or free standing units as our ears are so sensitive to have sound directly in to our ears 8 hours or so at night....lots of love glynis
      Michael is a dear friend and we talk on the phone most days and would agree with my reply

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi @Fung Chow
      Glynis, kindly advised me of your post and I wanted to reply to you. I just want to say that I agree with the advice Glynis has given.
      I have written a series of articles on tinnitus that you might find helpful, please click on the link below to see them: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/search/member?user_id=3134&content=thread
      If you haven’t been seen at ENT yet, then I advise that you ask your GP to refer you, as I believe it is the best way forward in getting the help that you need.
      All the best
      Michael

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1