Does Papilledema Relate to Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Taneisha, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Taneisha

Taneisha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 14,2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was diagnosed with papilledema in my eye, they say pulsatile tinnitus, headaches and papilledema relate to each other. They gave me Acetazolamide pills 500mg and they say it’s suppose to help get fix it all, my headaches are gone but my pulsatile tinnitus is very much the same. I’m hoping it helps.

2. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      If you have a cerebrovascular issue that is causing intracranial pressure, or pressure behind your eyes, yes. What part of the US do you live in?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Taneisha

Taneisha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 14,2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    4. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      I go to NYU Langone. The doctors there are outstanding. I would highly recommend you go there. Johns Hopkins is good too, but I've heard some not so good things.

5. tiniturtle

tiniturtle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/19/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paromomycin
      That isn't going to solve the problem, that's just temporary to help the symptoms. You need a new doctor. You could risk losing your vision, among other things.

6. Secole

Secole Member

Tinnitus Since:
      18 August 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Taneisha,
      I have the very same issue. It all started off with pulsatile tinnitus, headaches, and other symptoms. No doctor could help me. The pulsatile tinnitus was the worst symptom. After numerous efforts, I finally found a good doctor who diagnosed me with IIH. Symptoms are headaches, visual problems as well as pulsatile tinnitus. I too was given the same medication as you but it did not help. I was switched to another medication and it has been helping. It drains extra cerebral fluids which results in my symptoms lessening, especially the pulsatile tinnitus, it completely stops. It only starts up again when my cerebral fluid levels pick up again. The main goal of treatment is to prevent vision loss. If the intracranial pressure reaches too high levels, it can press on the optic nerves causing vision loss. I haven't had my procedures done to fix this condition because of COVID-19.

If you have more questions, please ask me.