Does Safe dB Level Change After NIHL/Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by AxlRose, Jul 17, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. AxlRose
      Crappy

AxlRose Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      As the title says. Does it change? If it's safe for people with healthy ears is it safe for people with damaged ears.

• Genius Genius x 1
    2. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I think it does.but we dont know...as i read in one paper that most people with T has H as well but they are not aware of it as it is mild.

Also i am sure we can check potential furture T risk group by checking for sound tolerance.

Dont ask the your ENT or audiologist these questions... i find they have little knowlege in these matters. They say i can go to loud places with ear plugs..but i know i cant, you see what happened to some of the guys in this forum who did.

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      If you poke around a bit, you'll find there have been other threads discussing this very issue. You'll find the conclusions aren't all that helpful, because like a lot of issues here, no-one really knows the answer.

4. Foncky
      Doubtful

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      An explosion, music, and fate.
      I know the answer for me : my safe dB level is very low. What is safe for most people (like driving on the motorway) is not for me.

5. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      And some people still go to concerts with no further issue.

6. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term NIHL and recent acoustic trauma
      It all depends on how extensive the damage is and how long it's has been since the initial trauma - and age plays a role too

For the first 6 months I would be very careful to not go over 60db then maybe a bit more after that

And general there are a lot of unnecessary noises like public transport , cars, noisy restaurants etc.. that your ears weren't designed to hear anyway

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Designed? Adapted maybe? Some people's ears seem "designed" to handle anything. Not mine, as it turned out.