Does Tinnitus Mean I'm Going Deaf?

Discussion in 'Support' started by ForestVibes, Nov 23, 2019.

1. ForestVibes

ForestVibes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 September 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I have been reading a book about Beethoven and he had tinnitus from about 25 or so... Eventually went almost completely deaf( think about 95%).

Was just wondering if having tinnitus means I am going deaf. I am only 24 and if that is the case, wonder If I will make it to 50 with my hearing. Weird question... but really feeling emotional.

P.S. I have had my hearing tested and the audiologist said I have no visible hearing loss.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Lots of people have tinnitus but otherwise normal hearing and lots of people have hearing loss but no tinnitus - the main reason for losing hearing is loud noise, often through working in noisy places without hearing protection.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tinnitus does not cause hearing loss.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ForestVibes

ForestVibes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 September 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Is it a symptom of hearing loss? Or does it make me more susceptible to hearing loss?

5. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Tinnitus in itself will never cause hearing loss, but it can indeed be a symptom of it.

However, if your audiologist says that hearing loss is not showing, then look for other possible causes. Do you have any neck/jaw complaints since your tinnitus came up? Recently been in a car accident or something?

Look further than just the ears: there are many cases where tinnitus has a different origin. My case for example is a result of whiplash and has nothing to do with my ears.

6. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Doesn't mean anything, if the audiologist can't detect hearing loss. Generally, only up to 8000Hz hearing is tested. If you have hearing loss in the higher frequencies, a normal audiogram won't show it, and you can have tinnitus related to that. I have normal audiogram, but I can't hear above 13-14kHz (according to my not so scientific measurement on YT, bc I can't find an audiologist in my country who tests above 8000Hz). My current tinnitus is at those high frequency range, I can't say precisely, because it changes a lot.
      But it doesn't mean that if you have tinnitus, you are certainly going deaf.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ForestVibes

ForestVibes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 September 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Considering the amount I have put my ears through since I have been physically capable of operating a mp3 player I believe mine is noise-induced. Had it a couple times after gigs and parties, but this time it's been here for 3 months so far.

I don't know if it just my anxious mind running wild, but I do think my jaw and neck have problems, however, I have no reason for this to be the case.

Did you have sound sensitivity as a result of your whiplash tinnitus?

8. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      How old are you? Maybe 13-14kHz is normal for your age?

9. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      True, one could still have hearing loss in a different area, but it gives reason to explore other possible causes as well. If e.g. TMJ is the true origin, then it is useless to focus on hearing loss, since that has nothing to do with the condition in that situation. Same goes for other physical causes.

The main reason I highlight this part is that some ENT's in my area are quite insistent to blame everything on hearing loss and don't seem to accept any other possible explanation. Had I listened to them without researching a bit for myself, then I would not have realized my case of whiplash, and my neck problems would have remained untreated.

In short: T is one symptom of many possible causes, and should be investigated as such IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Most likely I do: not by a car accident, but when I fell down the stairs, I grabbed the support bars in some forceful way that applied heavy strain on my neck. Quite a dumb way to get T, but the bright side of it is that it still could heal in theory.

If you gave your ears of suffering, then sound-induced T is a realistic scenario. Still, I guess it wouldn't hurt to get the neck examined if it gives you issues. Did you have any specific noise trauma shortly before your T started?

• Winner Winner x 1