Does Your Hyperacusis Get Worse at Night?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Christopher805, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Does anyone else’s hyperacusis get worse at night? Mine is noticeable in the morning but not bad. However, by nightfall it is awful. Things sound extremely loud and sharp. My ears literally have to calm down before I can think about sleeping. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I have often noticed that it peaks around dinner time. This is because I'm tired of dealing with it all day, but not so tired that I'm sleepy. Once I become sleepy, I care a little bit less. It's also bad when I wake up in the morning, but I have more energy/will power to deal with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Yes. Have noticed this pattern. By the end of the day, my ears just get done. Needs a sleep cycle to get better (still bad everyday, but better than previous night).

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @Zugzug
      @RishRamsey
      Great points. By the evening I am tired of dealing with it. Yes, I do hear in the morning but as you said have more energy/will power. Also, by the end of the day my ears are done as well. I am sorry other forum members are experiencing this as well. Thank you for letting me know it appears to be a common characteristic of hyperacusis. I will be glad when there is either decreased sensitivity or it’s completely GONE!!! I pray TOMORROW is TODAY for a viable cure for us all. It’s time well overdue!!!

5. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      On some rare days it is like that. Most days it is the opposite: worst in the morning, gets somewhat better over the day, and best in the evening.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. Horrorpopz

Horrorpopz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure/meds/who knows?
      What I've read about this is that when you wake up you are more sensitive because of silence while sleeping and at the end of the day your ears are tired...

It used to be like that for me too.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @Zugzug
      @RishRamsey @TheDanishGirl @Horrorpopz
      Thank you for the responses.
      How did each of you acquire tinnitus? I am trying to see if there is a source pattern.

What’s is troubling is that I can have sound machine or phone apps on very low all day and no loud noise and by nightfall bam. You would have thought I’d been listen to heavy metal music full blast all day. The feeling is fullness, extreme sharpness in left ear and ring sounds more piercing than during the day.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @RishRamsey
      I used to think it was associated with lack of sleep. Now, I sleep better but still experience thr increase sharpness and loudness at dinner time. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to hyperacusis. What are you doing to treat your hyperacusis? I was told outside if using TRT ear level generators to listen to broadband and music constantly.

9. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      You improved?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Is there a specific reason you think for this? Like do you stay in quiet during the day time and your ears feel better, or do you still do normal activities, go to work and expose yourself to daily sounds and it gets better. Trying to figure out what's best for hyperacusis - staying in silence, or normal sounds (even though they hurt).

Thanks much.

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      Yeah, me too. I am having some really bad hyperacusis days lately and it's been worse than it has been since all of this started an year ago (Noise induced). I am not doing anything currently - still going to work with earplugs and staying at home mostly (but seeing no improvements). Will move to a quieter place in a month or so (my home is in the middle of a very busy road s0 horns and bikes all day) and see if that would help.

Are you doing anything to treat it? What are your symptoms like? Like can you describe if you feel pain or just things seem loud?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @RishRamsey

A year later and worse. Really. Hopefully, moving to a quieter place will help. I am retired so really the only expose I have to noise is home. However, there is a lot of traffic, kids making noise from nearby school, church bells. I listen to nature sounds on sound machine and music on phone app all day. My symptoms are in the morning some days sounds are normal other days they are sharp and loud. At night is the worse. Things are louder and sharper all the time at night. My soreness is brief. I do not get immediate ear pain when sounds are loud or sharp just annoyance. The soreness is probably because ears are tired. It usually last a second or two. What’s crazy is I do it rally expose them to loud noise. I got mine from ingesting ototoxin. I pray we both get better soon.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @RishRamsey
      Correction:

I do not expose them to loud noise.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      You used to be that way. So what made the difference? I do not sleep in silence. I have sound machine on all night.

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      @RishRamsey @TheDanishGirl @Horrorpopz @Zugzug
      Can someone explain to me how for two straight days no hyperacusis symptoms. ZERO. Also, each day no noticeable ring. Last night zero ring but woke up with headache over left eye, hyperacusis symptoms, and low hiss ring. I do not understand.

16. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      I would say those are very good symptoms and you are doing something right. Keep at it, and hopefully in a year or two you'd be much better. Ears can take forever to heal.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christopher805

Christopher805 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      Well it only last 2 days. 3rd day hyperacusis hyperactive. But on the 4th day was not as bad as 3rd day. The fluctuations are unbelievable. I hope you’ve had better days with your hyperacusis since we last talked. Pink noise is the key for me, but not too loud. Be well.

• Hug Hug x 1