Doing Nothing Worked for Me

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Barry Gradski, May 16, 2014.

1. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      No? My reactive tinnitus was fans, white noise and water, not headphones. I listened to generalfuzz, crickets or mozart.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. John Meyers
      Artistic

John Meyers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just One (1) Loud Rock Concert!
      I find that slight masking in a quiet place helps me forget it. When I am in noisier environments, I don't even notice it.

I did fall off the wagon with my diet which sent my T through the roof. -- Sugar is the worst for my T. -- Back to watching what I eat and exercising more and already feeling better..

Can't wait until the volume drops a little. Until then, I am going to ignore it like you suggest. Thanks!

3. SteveShield

SteveShield Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HTN Rx, Migraine hx, Oil of Wintergreen induced?
      Barry G....
      TY, new this T x 2 months, so anxious from this...and new this forum... I have done every supplement, was going to make apt. with Ear Center $$$, wife says, you are wasting time and $... tired of it already... will try to take your advice, ignore the T bastard!... :(

4. Drone Draper
      Jaded

Drone Draper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, ETD and work stress
      I think the best approach for most is somewhere between the blue and red pill.

First, accept that the tinnitus you have today is likely to be the one you have tomorrow. Even in cases where people have had their T dissipate lots or go away completely, most take months, if not years. I think I've seen about 2 cases where the T was suddenly gone. You need to measure improvements month by month, not day by day. This is probably the hardest step.

Second, try to focus on other things than the tinnitus. This means your career and hobbies. Your life won't be the same as pre-tinnitus, as it limits your ability to be in certain loud environments, but your life can still be good. This is a step that will depend on your level of tinnitus, much like the first one. Telling someone with a 80db drill noise going off in their head to "just ignore it" is probably asking too much.

Third, be cautiously optimistic with treatments. If you're early on in your tinnitus journey, try to get prescribed prednisone and do HBOT. If you have Meneire's, try to get prescribed Serc. There's also a third drug I've seen used successfully in one study that they use in Austria, Switzerland and India called Tinnex (Caroverine), so if you live there, discuss with your physician. In addition, try the supplements people have said help - magnesium, melatonin, tebonin, B12, zinc, vitamin d3, etc.

I'm personally mildly optimistic with Neuromod. I think it will work for me somewhat, I tried various audio notch therapies on my own and they did work to lower the tinnitus. I stopped when I realised I probably shouldn't do this without the help of an audiologist. I would've been using Acoustic CR Neuromodulation if my tinnitus wasn't fluctuating so much - apparently you need a stable tinnitus sound for it to work. If Neuromod doesn't work, then so be it. There is no way of succeeding without accepting it won't necessarily work immediately. If we'd taken the approach of "you just have to deal, all treatments fail", we would be talking about innovations in iron lung technology right now instead of just vaccinating our kids. Even HIV is not the same death sentence it was in the 80s. I know that if I get my shiny Neuromod and it doesn't work, some people will say "ha, look at you, you spent all that money and we're in the same place!". No, we're not. Just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for others, and I had to try it to find out if it did or didn't. I don't necessarily think it's healthy to try everything under the sun, like Ring 911 and all the unscrupulous things peddled on the web, but I equally think there needs to be a balance where we try to make the best of today while hoping for a better tomorrow.

It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
      It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
      And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
      Tho’ much is taken, much abides; and tho’
      We are not now that strength which in old days
      Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
      One equal temper of heroic hearts,
      Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
      To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield

• Like Like x 4
    5. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      Looks like original post was in 2014. Hey Barry, how is doing nothing working in 2019?

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      Literally my journey of tinnitus each and every word! ❤️

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Shelly75

Shelly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Dginobile thats great to hear! So it’s no longer a problem for you? Did it take you 18 months too? I’m at 7 months and struggling x

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    8. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      Hi Shelly I had originally responded to this message but I’m not sure what happened to it.

But no it did not take me 18 months to habituate to the sound. It took me about six months to stop noticing it throughout the day and then gradually from there I would notice it less and less if I focus on it.

It’s there loud and clear and yes I have my bad days usually around the time I’m gonna get my period or times of high stress but I just tell myself that they’re going to pass and eventually they do and it goes back down towards baseline.

It’s a constant tone in the center of my head, high pitched like a tea kettle.

The biggest piece of advice I can give you is to not focus on it. Don’t dwell on the sound and eventually your brain will filter it out. I promise. Stay away from the negative stories. That was one mistake that I made in the first few months that I had tinnitus, I was reading all of the horror stories and making myself believe that that was gonna happen to me too but I’m proof that habituation can be a success story.

No it’s not going away but I don’t pay attention to it throughout the day. There’s times where I forget it’s even there but as soon as I think about it, boom there it is.

And since my own onset of tinnitus I have made it a point to protect my ears.

Just try to have faith that it will either go away or fade to a point where it no longer affects you. Trust me, I was that person that used to read habituation stories and laugh like yeah OK not gonna happen. I never understood how someone could say that they hear the ringing yet it does not bother them but for the most part you can maintain a normal life living with tinnitus, I promise.

Sorry if there are any typos. I was just going through it pretty fast. Take care and I’m here if you have any questions or concerns or if you just need a positive redirection from negative thoughts.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. aonedoc

aonedoc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Many Thanks for your positive input.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. Shelly75

Shelly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20/07/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Thanks so much for taking the time to reply @Dginobile.

The last week or so I’m starting to get times where I realise I haven’t noticed it for maybe half an hour at a time then as soon as I do notice it’s back with a vengeance again. I’ve had a run of quite a few days where that has happened a lot and then when I do notice it again it doesn’t have the same impact on me as it used to - it bothers me less and seems to move more to the background. I think it will be a long process but I can understand now how people can say that it’s still the same noise but their reaction to it has changed. In the times I realise I haven’t noticed it, it’s like I don’t have it anymore. I also think my hyperacusis is getting better. I’m now able to be in places that 7 months ago would have had me running straight out the door!

It was Really good to hear your story - thank you again xx

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      This describes my own tinnitus.

This is so very important.

Yes, one needs to have faith and do their best to keep the hope that they will be able to lead the best possible life, in spite of tinnitus.

@Dginobile Thank-you for your post. :huganimation:

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      So glad that you are getting periods of relief throughout the day. That’s a GREAT sign!! Also I had REALLY BAD hyperacusis in the beginning when my tinnitus first started and OMG was it scary!!! The crinkle of a bag of chips would send me running!! I was protecting my ears from everything, I was even wearing ear plugs to family gatherings but once I stopped doing that and confronted the hyperacusis I promise you it eventually just went away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Dginobile

Dginobile Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, Satan perhaps?
      You’re welcome. I just really want people to understand how bad I was. My tinnitus can be so loud to the point I have trouble hearing people talk if I focus on it. Even with something so bad life can still be normal and eventually our brains (if we allow them to) will naturally filter out the noise ❤️

I was literally suicidal and in my bed for the first month. I didn’t even go to work. I have three kids that if it wasn’t for their dad I don’t know how I would have managed. But I got through it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Racehorse

Racehorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      That’s the dumbest thing I have read on here in a long time my friend. Lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Racehorse

Racehorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic
      I do like the idea of just not giving tinnitus any attention at all to rid yourself of it (habituate). However, one should still be cautious with attending loud venues, flying when having ear infections, certain ototoxic meds, etc. Otherwise ‘doing nothing’ can make one's tinnitus get worse (as we read many times before on Tinnitus Talk). So yes, don’t let tinnitus consume you, but have common sense too.

• Agree Agree x 2