Don't Think I Can Do This Anymore

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tamika, Jan 12, 2016.

1. naggy

naggy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Hang in there, you're at the bottom, so you're gonna go up to the surface eventually!!!

The most crappy aspect of what you describe is the anxiety, which is the one that causes insomnia, panic and makes the sound worse.

google neuroplasticity! (it works for anxiety like a charm)

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      Thanks Naggy

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      Thanks for you thoughts. I have tried this. I'm 10 months in now and when I first went to my normal GP dr. he gave me mirtazapine and valium. The script was for 5mg twice a day. After couple of days I tried to limit it to half that. I was using it most days for over 8 months, although trying to minimise its use as I was scared of having worse anxiety withdrawal symptoms. I had just weaned myself off it when I ended up in hospital. I don't think I had too much of a withdrawal, but just my normal anxiety without any valium. Yes the valium was helpful. Shame it cannot be used as a longer term medication.

• Genius Genius x 2
    4. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      So 2.5mg twice a day, 5mg a day total. That's a pretty low dose. If you are off it and didn't experience any of the crazy nerve withdrawl symptoms, maybe ask the doctor when you can start taking it again without risking immediate dependency.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      Most psych dr's are dead against prescribing benzos so I doubt I'd be able to get them. I do have a few left and I admit I have been taking 2.5mg (1/2 tablet) once or twice a week in the evenings lately just to give me a short break from the anxiety.

6. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You could still ask. Think about it?

7. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey Tamika, have you had your hearing checked for hearing loss? Quite a few places offer a free hearing test such as the places that sell hearing aids. I was helped a lot by hearing aids that have the maskers built in. I had hearing loss and they amplified me up to normal hearing and on some you can choose white noise, pink noise etc. You can also have the guy turn the noise reduction feature off and have him amplify certain frequencies more to where you tinnitus is located. In addition with bluetooth on many of the hearing aids, you can send music or sounds like running water, etc. (check out mynoise.net) This along with your medication might calm you down more. If the hearing aid doesn't work they usually will offer a 45 day trial period so you can get your money back but be sure to ask. I encourage you to call around. I have been wearing hearing aids for more than two years now and don't even feel them in my ear or on them...they are really lightweight and fairly small. Usually you can have multiple programs and order a remote if you want. I hope you feel better asap. ---I just saw you were from Australia so you might not have all the same laws like we do in America about hearing aid refunds but I still encourage you to call.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      I spoke to the new psych dr I'm seeing and told her I still have a few valium (from my GP) and take 1/2 tablet once a week just for a short relief to take the edge of the anxiety for a couple of hours. Unlike the previous psych who is totally against benzos (which I can understand) this one actually suggested I do take 2.5mg every day and gave me another script to help until the AD's work. I appreciated the script but I still will only be taking them once or twice a week as I don't want the pain of withdrawal on top of the current anxiety.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      Hi Jason. Thanks for your suggestion. I do have some hearing loss. I did trial some hearing aids months ago when T was new. I only tried them for a few days and I couldn't decide if they helped or not. One of them sounded really bad so maybe wasn't adjusted correct and the other sounded ok, but they did not enable the masking white noise to try. Also unfortunately my husband was not supportive due to the high cost here in Australia. He also has hearing loss and T and has never been bothered by it and thinks I just need to focus on CBT and mental issues to get over T. The psych dr I'm seeing thinks I should try hearing aids, and said it would take more than a few days to know if they helped. This dr has hearing aids herself, but no T. To try them again I still need to get my husband on board and supportive. It just wouldn't be worth the angst and upset for me if I went ahead without him being happy about it.

10. rzhang
      Transparent

rzhang Member

Bluetooth wireless earbuds could serve as an inexpensive alternative

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2.5mg is a very low dose(lowest size is 2mg). Please consider taking a half-tab twice a day. It is nothing to come off a dose that low for only 2-4 weeks until your SSRI kicks in. Your physician will make sure you taper down safely.

• Friendly Friendly x 1