Dreaded Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by AnnieH, Jan 26, 2015.

1. AnnieH

AnnieH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr 2012
      Hi all

My name is Annie H and I have had tinnitus since April 2012 approximately

I have found that having cranial osteopathy really helps. I used this when I lived in North Wales but struggling to find a practitioner in England

The manipulation of the neck, back and head (all are interinked with the Eustachian tubes) gives temporary relief

Also I find that believe it or not, spicy foods and cutting down dairy also help - as does frequent showers (allowing the water to enter the ear canal) along with the sounds of rain or running water - I do not seem to hear the noises so much

Does anyone else have anything that will help please

Regards

Annie H

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    2. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Are you sleeping well? Some people find that melatonin supplements helps them get a good night's sleep. I personally used to take 3 mg, sustained release, nightly--about an hour before I went to bed. I now take 1 mg, sustained release, along with 50 mg Benedryl.

• Like Like x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      If the sounds of rain and running water help, then make sure you have masking sounds which give you those. Have you got masking? If not try download for free 'aire freshener' to your PC. It has those sounds you like. You can also get a sound machine or sound pillow for bedtime. For masking on the go, you can use an ipod and download these sounds to it using itune. If you have smart phone, there should be APPs doing sound generation. Youtube also has lots of masking sounds using rain. Try search masking sounds and you will find them.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      AnnieH

AnnieH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Apr 2012
      Thanks both for the speedy response

Despite having a masking gadget that goes under the pillow, getting off to sleep is not a problem - staying asleep is

I often wake up at 04.30 - not good

5. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Same thing here. Can fall asleep out of sheer exhaustion but early wakening with the sounds like an alarm, loud and annoying.
      Worst time of the day-lying in bed desperate for sleep, or silence. Or answers.