Dropped a Toilet Seat — a Bit Worried

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Dec 30, 2017.

1. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      End of thread. images.png

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      Old thread, but this just happened to me... freaking twice! I'm staying with family and in one of the bathrooms there is an older style toilet seat that can slam down.

It was extremely loud each time and scared the crap out of me.

So I put on some earmuffs and measured with a sound meter and it was around 113 to 114 dB when the seat slams down. I was getting that consistent reading on several tests. Wayyy too loud.

I'm hoping that's not the upper limit my sound meter can show (cheap BAFX 3370). In other words, I hope it's not even louder than what was measured.

Would a couple of these unprotected and unexpected moments cause permanent damage? Seems like there's a spike, but it could at least partly be anxiety. I hate these seats.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      There are toilet seats that drop slowly and make no noise. It's like those kitchen cupboard cabinets one cannot slam because they are designed for soft closing.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      Those are what I'm used to and have. The soft seats are great.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. momus

momus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      antibiotics
      I would glue some rubber pads on the bottom of the toilet seat, that should do it.

While the toilet seat slamming down may not be that bad in terms of decibels, it might be amplified by one's bathroom, especially assuming the door was closed. All that hard tile, porcelain sink and tub, etc make for a perfect storm of reflective noise. There is nothing soft that might absorb the sound except maybe a towel, a roll of toilet paper and the human that is in there. My guess is the human would be the primary sound absorber, even if they had Charmin TP.

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. whatdidyousay

whatdidyousay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      I think you're right about the closed door plus tile floors. Even in the kitchen which is more open but similar flooring I was surprised that opening the upper level sliding hard plastic door in the fridge is around 115 dB when it hits the side of the fridge. Like with a toilet seat, it's probably a second or less but still crazy loud and enough to startle you.

7. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      The soft close seats are cheap on Amazon. I had one discontinued color that I got here: https://thisoldtoilet.com/

The other 3 I got on Amazon as they were all almond color.

• Agree Agree x 1