Dropped a Toilet Seat — a Bit Worried

Discussion in 'Support' started by Suzerman, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably a mix of ETD and TMJ
      I've been struggling with mild tinnitus probably due to TMJ and ETD, but yesterday I was cleaning, and dropped the toilet seat from my hands when it slammed down. The volume was reaaaally loud and I immediately heard slight increased ringing in my ears. My ears hurt as well when it happened. It seems to have subsided now. What are my chances of this worsening my current noise?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The fact that it had subsided is a good sign.

I had experienced many incidents similar to the one you are describing (e.g., slammed doors, loud metal shopping carts, dropped glass plates). I believe you might have a temporary spike (that might last as long as three months, but most likely will end within a week), but I don't think you need to worry about the spike being permanent.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Don’t worry about it; it’s incredibly unlikely you’ve done any damage. If I could tell you how many incidents I’ve had, that are exactly the same as this, I’d bore you to tears. There is no way you will live your life without encountering unexpected knocks and bangs. So, you will have to learn to relax when something like this happens again in future, because there will inevitably be another incident, and then another, and then another. You will soon learn that nothing ever changes. You are working yourself up because you think you have damaged yourself, but it’s really not that easy.

A toilet seat slamming is not like, say, a gun shot going off, which would be in the danger zone for impulsive sounds.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 4
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you for your replies! I feel a bit more at ease now. It seriously got me so worried. It also happened right after I was doing better. Noticing it less, ear kind of opening up. So this happening to me has been quite scary

5. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      When you fear something, when you think you just made a big mistake, this has effect on your body: you heart rate increases, your blood circulation can be altered. This can have a direct impact on your ears and on the way you perceive your tinnitus. Your spike may be due to this.

In any case, I really think this kind of noise cannot do permanent damage.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You are most likely right as far as a one-time exposure is concerned. I am not sure whether this is still the case when a T sufferer experiences shocks like that repeatedly.

7. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Yes, if you keep your ear very close to the toilet seat and smash the seat repeatedly for hours, that's really dangerous. But if you do this you probably have bigger issues than the T.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Bill, damage is usually caused by free radicals, which is why the use of antioxidants (such as NAC) may be an effective preventative measure. Noise damage usually causes oxidative stress to your cells, and if they don’t get enough recovery time they start to die.

A toilet seat slamming isn’t much of a risk on any realistic scale. Unless, maybe, if you sit for a prolonged period of time continuously banging it over your head; but when is that likely to happen?

9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      How do you explain me getting a new tone in my formerly good ear after glass plates dropped close to my ear (I am still optimistic that this is temporary, but the tone is still there, albeit quieter)?
      What about Lex's spike that was a result of her being exposed to 25 seconds of loud music at the mall (this was 6 months ago, she got better, but the spike is still not over)? Surely nobody else who was there (and who were around that music for a lot longer than Lex) had any problems. No damage was done to their ears, yet Lex got Serious problems [H and T spike] as a result. To me, this proves that our ears have been compromised, and we are more vulnerable than the healthy people. The sound might not be loud enough to do any damage to healthy ears, but it can still do Something that manifests itself as a T spike.

Here is a link to the post where Lex described her incident
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/first-major-setback-since-onset-almost-a-year-ago.22718/

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Bill, the original post is about a toilet seat slamming, and I stand by my response that it’s not worth worrying about. There will always be anomalies, but what percentage would they represent on a bell curve, for example? You also have to factor in personality types, and the psychological aspect of what we’re dealing with. If you’re already at the height of anxiety, then spikes are pretty much guaranteed in this game to all sorts of situations. I’ve said this before, but when you get a lot of anxious people all gathered in one place, it tends to amplify the situation. Fear breeds fear, which can certainly invoke spikes that wouldn’t usually happen. That is, if you were not bothered in the first place. The brain is very smart, and it will react to every bit of information you give it. If you’re convinced that toilet seats pose a threat then it will eventually become a self fulfilling prophecy.

It’s highly unlikely that an incident like the OP spoke about would cause physical inner ear damage. But, it wouldn’t be considered unusual to get a temporary spike, if one occurred.

11. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I instinctively agree with @Bill Bauer that damaged, compromised, cochlears will be more prone to damage, from further acoustic traumas, than healthy normal ears.
      We will all choose our own cautious way forward.
      Jazzer

• Like Like x 1
    12. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      But surely the solution isn’t wearing earplugs to the toilet? Why worry about small things like that? I know it happens because I spent a long time doing exactly that. Worrying about all sorts of sounds. This is before I realised I was actually getting worse and feeling worse. It would be more concerning if she had been to a concert, or had been exposed to some sort of explosive sound. The energy expelled in an explosive force is far greater than objects slamming against one another.

My advice is not to sweat the small stuff; it’s just not worth it and doesn’t benefit you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Ed209

Generally speaking I would agree with that.
      But some noises create pain for me.

The ridicilously loud Police/Ambulance/Fire alarms coming down the street:

* We are not all deaf.....but we bloodywell soon will be.

* The supermarket porter, pushing a metal cage for 30 yards, down a tiled shopping alley, at just short of 18 miles an hour.

Fingers will suffice for the first incident, but an ear plug in my damaged side for the second.

Why? Because it bloodywell hurts.
      Jazzer

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Ed I might adopt Bill's idea and wear ear plugs to the toilet.... after eating at the all you can eat buffet sushi restaurant. Those sounds can increase the tinnitus and change the colors on the walls...lol

• Funny Funny x 4
    15. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Enough internet for one day i think.. happy new year everyone

• Like Like x 3
    16. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015

I understand that Jazzer; sirens are legitimately loud though. The original poster is talking about a toilet seat falling. No one should have to feel scared or threatened by such things, regardless. Each time somebody validates her fear, by saying she should be afraid, will only add to the anxiety she obviously already has. In which case it will make her feel worse. In no way does this help her.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Ed209 - Agreed old sport.
      You are genuinely helping a lady who has real concerns, and I crassly switched it to my own experience.
      I am such a ‘pilock’ at times.
      I’ll get me coat.......

• Like Like x 1
    18. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Constant fear simply does no good. It is not healthy to have this much fear/anxiety/stress in the head. Tinnitus is an ordeal that can do this unfortunately. folks please know, that not all sounds are destructive and damaging. Also consider some sounds are not damaging, unless they are consistently heard for a duration of time. If we train our minds to fear so many things, then that fear will control you and can limit you in your life.

I have a few fears of my own and I do my best to push through them. Life should have few or no limitations, we need to live it and not be limited. Protect your ears in KNOWN loud spots/events and ordeals, but please don't go overboard.

It bothers me to see such fine and good folks being limited by this horrible ordeal :(

Talking to a therapist and discussing these things can be helpful too. I did it in my early years and It paid off. I'd not be posting here, if i didn't use all the tools I could to help myself and live a better life even with tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The problem is that she was a foot away from the source of the noise, whereas one is normally further away from the source when one hears a silence. In my experience, noises that are close to the ear are the most dangerous. In other words, when a similar noise (by the time it reaches me) is closer (i.e., the far away noise was louder at the source), it seems to have a bigger impact on my T.

20. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      It's not just your experience, it's the laws of physics. I mean that a sound gets louder when it gets closer. (Am I stating the obvious? I'm sure you know this)

21. Elfin
      Wishful

Elfin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      lets take a second here and see this objectively. a toilet seat fell. yes it would have been a loud noise, but as a one off noise it will be fine. It is not a gun shot and is only a second in exposure.

Surely a way to ease the anxiety would be to wear hearing protection and then purposefully drop the toilet seat and measure how loud this is. Not that getting into that habit is overly healthy, but it may ease the anxiety in this instance.

22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I know this - that is why I wrote
      I was trying to say that the noise is not the same at the source, it is the same at my ear.

23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      During the original incident that, 11 months ago, gave the gift of T to me, the noise wasn't That loud, and it lasted a fraction of a second.

24. Jazzer

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Sam Bridge -‘Quiter!’ (only kidding).

• Funny Funny x 1
    25. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      Has anything in this direction ever been scientifically investigated and published?

My concern is that many people with tinnitus will develop phonophobia and hyperacusis when they fear or protect themselves from everyday noise pollution.

My personal experience is rather that day by day "spikes" do not correlate with anything....

26. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      No tinniger, it’s all anecdotal and guess work.

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I took the risk and discovered that this phonophobia promotes healing as far as T is concerned. Of course it could just be a coincidence, however there are countless people who found out the hard way that not protecting one's ears does the opposite of promoting healing.

By the way, the fact that there have been no published studies regarding what causes permanent and temporary T spikes, means there is no scientific reason behind doctor advice to only protect your ears against noises that are known to damage the inner ear. They are basing this advice on studies that talk about what can damage healthy ears, whereas what can hurt us hasn't been studied (and the overwhelming number of testimonies on this site imply that sounds that can hurt us are Way quieter than the sounds that can damage healthy ears).

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Suzerman

Suzerman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10 october 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you all for your replies, I am hoping that it won't give me any hearing loss, but im still a bit on edge about it for probably a week or so to come, seeing how Ive heard that incidents like this can take a few weeks to cause tinnitus. I do feel a bit more calm though and want to thank you all for your replies!

30. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It’s your anxiety. It’s understandable because tinnitus anxiety is hard to control and feels horrendous when you are in the thick of it. You are ruminating and allowing tinnitus to control your thoughts.

A785BBB6-BB3F-43B6-AFC6-340F6C706129.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1