Drug-Induced Tinnitus? How Is It Now?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lisa88, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      I was hoping we can share stories on this thread to see how drug induced t behaves over time.
      I have heard that in many cases, drug induced t substantially reduces. I understand some medications are ototoxic, causing damage to the ear, and some have a side effect of tinnitus with minimal damage incurred. I also understand that certain drugs cause similar t sounds.
      Just over 3 months ago, my t was caused my local anesthetic, intranasal lidocaine solution. I have had buzzing/racing car sounds ever since. So far it has not really faded. I am trying detox diets, low salt, sugar, no caffeine, gluten, alcohol, msg, processed foods, lots of water and decaf teas. Plus B vitamins, C, Omega 3's and NAC ... and exercise/yoga.
      Please let us know your story -- the drug that caused this, the sound you her, your time frame and how you are feeling now. Plus, anything you are doing that may help it fade - detox etc.
      Cheers.

2. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I don't know for sure! It was either the anesthesia used for surgery for my shoulder replacement or tramadol (non-narcotic pain reliever). I personally think it was the tramadol. In the months following my surgery (several years ago) I remember a sudden onset of "T". However, it quickly went away and returned periodically over a period of a period of a couple of months. After that it returned and I haven't had any silence since. My "T" has actually gotten much worse and is an extremely loud and constant EEEEEEEEEEEE in the center of my head.

I have learned to live with it and am accepting most of the time. There are moments when it does make me a little anxious, but I won't allow them to last. Probably the thing I hate the most is hearing "it" upon waking (instead of silence and pleasant thoughts).

I told my GP about it and she just gave me a weird look. It was as though it was something she didn't want to discuss. I sometimes worry that something else may be wrong with me, but I have had my annual physical and everything else checks out O.K.

I would be interested to hear how long others on this list have been enduring this???? Since I have had it only a few years, it would give me some comfort to know that others have learned to cope over many more years than I.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Bobo

Bobo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Same here. I've had it for a little over a year. I did go to KSU in the late 70's/early 80's.

4. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Same here what? You are somewhat younger than I. I was here at the time of the May 4th shootings.

5. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I know a guy who got it from drugs he's had it for 8 years

6. carol kane
      Wishful

carol kane Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I have a friend who got t from aspirin over use, she has only just told me this when i told her about my t, she said she had it for 18 months, and it just slowly went away!

• Like Like x 2
    7. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      @lisa, I have to give you credit, your statement shows you've really tried. I tried some of those things you mentioned. But some of them I like, like coffee or a cold beer. I an't giving up things I like, it didn't seem to help my T. I'm a happier person with those things in my life. I hope you find something that helps, pls let us know.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Thanks, All. I am thinking that because there are not many replies to this thread, those with drug related t are no longer on this site, so theirs faded away. How's that for positive thinking?!! :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I wish that were the case with my "T". I am pretty confident it was drug induced and it has gotten progressively worse over the last three years! It doesn't surprise me that "T" caused by Aspirin might fade in time when dosage is reduced, but generally, "T" is a permanent and incurable condition! I don't know for sure, but I believe that one type of "T" is produced in the inner ear and the other is actually a brain disorder? Someone please correct me on this..................

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @David J . May I ask what drug you think induced your t? Mine was lidocaine anesthetic. I really am hoping for a fade.

11. Arce
      Stressed

Arce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week
      I took ultram for approx. two weeks have the T. 50mg as needed (approx. 1 a day) I'm on day 10 of the T and am reaching my breaking point. I got a stuffy head feeling,headache, nausea and one morning I awoke with a high pitched Weeeeeee(10,000khz) in my left ear.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      @Arce - it's still really early days for you. Very possible that t will fade away. Try not to panic, keep yourself distracted, and think - this will pass. Drink lots of water and try to detox. Keep us posted.

13. Arce
      Stressed

Arce Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1 week
      Thanks Lisa, trying to stay positive and hoping it will pass.

14. David J
      Confused

David J Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      I took Tramadol, which is the same as Ultram. Much like the comment following your question, I took 0.5 mg as needed. However, I did take quite a bit, because I had severe pain both before and after surgery. I do not know what anesthetic was used for the surgery, but I was out for a fairly long time (shoulder replacement).

The shame of it is that Vicodin was very effective and didn't seem to cause me any problems. However, because it is so often abused, the doc switched me to tramadol. Using Tramadol instead of vicodin keeps the doc out of trouble. We seem to be going in a direction here in the U.S. where it is more important to keep good pain meds (tried and true for acute pain) away from addicts than it is to treat patients who really need them. :dunno:

15. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      I got mine from taking naproxen It's been 3 months its the same loud 24/7 it's making nuts

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Interesting that a lot of these drugs are pain meds.

17. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      Yea I was on a lot of them but I think that one is the one that did the damage!:mad:

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Just reviving this thread. Anybody with drug induced t still on here? Did you experience a fade in your t? Anybody heard of resolution or improvement months/years after the initial drug induced onset? Cheers.

19. cjb2811
      No Mood

cjb2811 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lamictal & Tegretol
      @Lisa88 I wish I had better news to report but two psychiatric drugs I was on for a very short time worsened my tinnitus twice, and there has been no improvement. A brief summary:

- I'm 29 years old. At age 17 I developed a very mild tinnitus in my left ear I believe from water damage.
      - October 2008: During the first major depressive episode of my life I took generic Wellbutrin for two weeks and the tinnitus greatly worsened to what I would now call a moderate level.
      - November 2013: During the fifth (and worst) depressive episode of my life I was diagnosed Bipolar II and prescribed Lamictal. I did not take meds during the three other depressive episodes as I was terrified from the result of taking Wellbutrin but at this point I was at the end of my rope and temporarily accepted the idea of Bipolar II. (I now believe each episode was atypical or reactive depression, as each came after a major life change.) After only 13 doses of 25 mg the tinnitus skyrocketed and I have been suffering from it ever since.

I haven't been on the boards for a while but have been in a state of desperation lately. I am not depressed per se, but I do exhibit many depressive symptoms because of the tinnitus suffering. I am far from living life to the fullest and often feel paralyzed and anxious. My recent reading has brought me to want to try Potiga, as my thoughts are if meds caused this tinnitus to increase other meds could possibly cause it to decrease as they affect the same part of the brain.
      Incidentally, @David J, I am on Tramadol as well for a back injury. However, I have been on it consistently for three years, and it hasn't had an effect one was or the other on my tinnitus.

So to answer the question, I am sorry to say that my medication-induced tinnitus has not faded (as both psychiatrists said it would once stopping the meds) but I have not completely given up hope.

20. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Mine has definitely crept up in pitch and volume. My tinnitus sounded like crickets to start, now I seem to have a variation of high pitched tones along with constant ear pain/fullness and H. Still hoping some day it will get better, although I'm loosing hope coming up on a year.

21. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      Lisa... yeah, still here and 100% fall into "ototoxic" category. You can read all you need on my "Profile" info tab. Just click Zimichael, etc., etc. And yeah, the damage had already been done with the Neomycin before the Ampho. added the an extra kicker.
      I also personally know, and have known, others who have got T from meds (aminoglycosides in particular - and yes orally). This idea that "ototoxic meds" are some sort of pipe dream is flat out wrong and irresponsible. I mean think about it. All those studies and lists in medical literature and national medical databases (just Search TT site or Google under "ototoxicity" for more details than you could ever require). They were all for fun??? I don't think so.

Best, Zimichael

22. LetyO

LetyO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/depression/medications
      I was going through a horrible depressive episode and was prescribed seroquel for sleep. I had taken it previously and it caused a moderate central tinnitus after just 2 days. It went away after one week. I did not remember this when I was prescribed it a second time. I don't remember when it actually started due to my depression but most likely within a few days. I was on it for 2 months because all my Dr's did not believe it was the cause and they would not prescribe anything else for sleep (I have moderate insomnia). I have been off this medication for 8 months. My tinnitus has changed from tonal to a very loud hiss most days now (central). I don't know what triggers it to change. I sleep well, excercise and try to eat 3 meals a day (I have no appetite). I don't feel it has gotten any better andI seem to be having more loud/high days. I wish I could say it has gotten better with time. Right now I am at a low point, not coping well.

23. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      Well, that begs the question...what drugs? :p

24. Johnny Naro

Johnny Naro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 7th
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotic Biaxin side effect
      I got my t from Biaxin. Been a month now and it hasn't gone away. I took it for 2 weeks. It's in the macrolides family which isn't as bad apparently, but I doubt that considering it hasn't gone away. I've read that permanent t is caused by intravenous drugs and long exposure. I'm hoping they're right. Praying every day. Started acupuncture, am taking ear tone by new Nordic, b12, b complex...gonn get the pharma grade Ginko and try that.