Drug Memantine Reduces Chronic Tinnitus Caused by Acoustic Trauma

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Sep 30, 2012.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Memantine is used to treat the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. Memantine is in a class of medications called NMDA receptor antagonists. It works by decreasing abnormal activity in the brain.

Yiwen Zheng, Emily McNamara, Lucy Stiles, Cynthia L. Darlingtonand Paul F. Smith*
      • Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Brain Health Research Centre, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
      Subjective tinnitus is a chronic neurological disorder in which phantom sounds are perceived. Increasing evidence suggests that tinnitus is caused by neuronal hyperactivity in auditory brain regions, either due to a decrease in synaptic inhibition or an increase in synaptic excitation. One drug investigated for the treatment of tinnitus has been the uncompetitiveN-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist, memantine, although the evidence relating to it has been unconvincing to date. We re-investigated the effects of memantine on the behavioral manifestations of tinnitus induced by acoustic trauma (a 16-kHz, 110-dB pure tone presented unilaterally for 1 h) in rats. We used a conditioned lick suppression model in which lick suppression was associated with the perception of high frequency sound resembling tinnitus and a suppression ratio (SR) was calculated by comparing the number of licks in the 15-s period preceding the stimulus presentation (A) and the 15-s period during the stimulus presentation (B), i.e., SR = B/(A + B). Acoustic trauma resulted in a significant increase in the auditory brainstem-evoked response (ABR) threshold in the affected ear (P≤ 0.0001) and a decrease in the SR compared to sham controls in response to 32 kHz tones in five out of eight acoustic trauma-exposed animals. A 5-mg/kg dose of memantine significantly reduced the proportion of these animals which exhibited tinnitus-like behavior (2/5 compared to 5/5; P ≤ 0.006), suggesting that the drug reduced tinnitus. These results suggest that memantine may reduce tinnitus caused by acoustic trauma.

• Like Like x 2
    2. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I thought I would mention this - ketamine, a drug often taken recreationally, is an antagonist that blocks NMDA receptors. So is AM-101...

If NMDA antagonists could reduce "chronic" tinnitus, why then AM-101 can only be used up to 3 months since onset?

And by the way, I know it's for greater good, but I think intentionally causing acoustic trauma in rats is kind of cruel :(

• Like Like x 1
    3. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Seeing as this 3 year old thread was recently necro'd, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to share a link I bookmarked many moons ago:

Memantine completely cured my tinnitus!

Interesting that Memantine/Namenda cured his Celexa/citalopram drug induced tinnitus albeit temporarily. His T returned when he continued dosing another antidepressant Tianeptine.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Has anybody tried Memantine?

5. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
    6. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Anyone tried this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      • Like Like x 1
    8. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Abstract from a clinical study on Memantine called "Tinnitus Treatment with Memantine" (i.e., Namenda).

Authors: Figueiredo RR, Langguth B, Mello de Oliveira P, Aparecida de Azevedo A.

Affiliations: OTOSUL-Otorrinolaringologia Sul-Fluminense, Volta Redonda and Valenca, Brazil; Valenca Medical School, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Publication date & source: 2008-04, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg., 138(4):492-6.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate efficacy and safety of memantine in the treatment of tinnitus.

STUDY DESIGN: Prospective, randomized, double-blind crossover study.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS: A total of 60 patients with tinnitus were randomized into a double-blind, placebo-controlled, prospective crossover study. Patients each received up to 20 mg memantine and placebo for 90 days, separated by a 30-day washout period. Treatment effects were assessed by using the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI). A total of 43 patients completed the trial.

RESULTS: There was no significant improvement of THI score after memantine treatment compared with placebo. A possible tendency for delayed effects of memantine was observed. The incidence of side effects during memantine treatment was 9.4 percent, leading to interruption of treatment in all cases.

CONCLUSION: This study does not provide evidence to recommend memantine for the treatment of tinnitus. A possible late effect of the drug should be evaluated in further studies with longer observation periods.

9. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      And there goes my hopes away...
      What kind of hell is this? Why God..

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. adrian_em

adrian_em Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearm
      You will habituate. My ears are screaming and I'm fine now 3 months after acoustic trauma. Until a cure will be found, go to Back to silence thread and read.

11. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Been doing that and still waiting for silence.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Hi Ears Hurt
      Can I ask how long have you been taking this drug? No reduction in tinnitus, even a bit?

13. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      Why all tinnitus drug trials are unsuccessful??

14. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Finding a drug to cure Tinnitus, is like finding a needle in a haystack! Actually, That would be easier.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      I believe that the "selectivity of the sample" is a problem. Different sounds, different damage at different levels, different people, different tinnitus.
      I don't know if for everyone the tinnitus it's just a neural damage. For me there is a sort of particular that still escapes. What is, no one knows.

In my case: acoustic trauma - hearing loss on high freq. for left hear - something wrong in my mind or also a damage to the synapses of the auditory nerve - tinnitus.
      For example... I think that if my hearing came back perfect I imagine that tinnitus would remain. I think it is no longer a problem of hair cells. This is the begin but after...
      After all no one deafen with their tinnitus. There are people with a 90 decibels of tinnitus. But it does not worsen hearing. So where is this sound? Certainly does not pass from the ear.

16. Emanuel Lourenco
      No Mood

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      @Kyxwz

Yeah sadly I'm inclined to feel the same... it starts with hearing loss but it remains due to brain plasticity I think... it's some connections that your brain makes and that's why the longer you have it the more likely it will remain forever...

17. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I'm fairly sure I commented on one of the other Memantine threads... I took this for about a month.

It's probably one of the strongest drugs I tried (I tried a lot! Maybe Pramipexole was harder..) as far as other side effects, and certainly makes you feel like you're on another planet aha. As for tinnitus - no change.

• Informative Informative x 2
    18. Frédéric

Frédéric Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      11/19/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Ok this study is a step back:
      1) it concerns rats
      2) it is salicylate-induced tinnitus
      3) it is for acute tinnitus (more over, to prevent tinnitus)
      However it talks about TNFα

Memantine Attenuates Salicylate-induced Tinnitus Possibly by Reducing NR2B Expression in Auditory Cortex of Rat.

Abstract
      Memantine, a noncompetitive antagonist of the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor, suppresses the release of excessive levels of glutamate that may induce neuronal excitation. Here we investigated the effects of memantine on salicylate-induced tinnitus model. The expressions of the activity-regulated cytoskeleton-associated protein (ARC) and tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNFα) genes; as well as the NMDA receptor subunit 2B (NR2B) gene and protein, were examined in the SH-SY5Y cells and the animal model. We also used gap-prepulse inhibition of the acoustic startle reflex (GPIAS) and noise burst prepulse inhibition of acoustic startle, and the auditory brainstem level (electrophysiological recordings of auditory brainstem responses, ABR) and NR2B expression level in the auditory cortex to evaluate whether memantine could reduce salicylate-mediated behavioral disturbances. NR2B was significantly upregulated in salicylate-treated cells, but downregulated after memantine treatment. Similarly, expression of the inflammatory cytokine genes TNFα and immediate-early gene ARC was significantly increased in the salicylate-treated cells, and decreased when the cells were treated with memantine. These results were confirmed by NR2B immunocytochemistry. GPIAS was attenuated to a significantly lesser extent in rats treated with a combination of salicylate and memantine than in those treated with salicylate only. The mean ABR threshold in both groups was not significant different before and 1 day after the end of treatment. Additionally, NR2B protein expression in the auditory cortex was markedly increased in the salicylate-treated group, whereas it was reduced in the memantine-treated group. These results indicate that memantine is useful for the treatment of salicylate-induced tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. Cape crusader
      Cool

Cape crusader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/18/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction ear wax removal
      @Pleasure_Paulie
      How has your results been with Pramipexole? My GP prescribed it for me at .125 mg three times a day for the first 10 days. I haven’t started it because I’m afraid of the side effects-

Could you help me please? .Thank you

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I would give it a try - it didn’t help my tinnitus much from memory, but it did give me some great benefits in the gym and with sex ha. I had no troubles getting off it when I wanted to stop. Like all these drugs, they can make you feel like you’re in a bit of a daze and tired initially. I think I had nausea as well. I never made it to a high dosage when I trialed it.