Drug Memantine Reduces Chronic Tinnitus Caused by Acoustic Trauma

Discussion in 'Research News' started by erik, Sep 30, 2012.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Memantine is used to treat the symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. Memantine is in a class of medications called NMDA receptor antagonists. It works by decreasing abnormal activity in the brain.

Yiwen Zheng, Emily McNamara, Lucy Stiles, Cynthia L. Darlingtonand Paul F. Smith*
      • Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Brain Health Research Centre, School of Medical Sciences, University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand
      Subjective tinnitus is a chronic neurological disorder in which phantom sounds are perceived. Increasing evidence suggests that tinnitus is caused by neuronal hyperactivity in auditory brain regions, either due to a decrease in synaptic inhibition or an increase in synaptic excitation. One drug investigated for the treatment of tinnitus has been the uncompetitiveN-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist, memantine, although the evidence relating to it has been unconvincing to date. We re-investigated the effects of memantine on the behavioral manifestations of tinnitus induced by acoustic trauma (a 16-kHz, 110-dB pure tone presented unilaterally for 1 h) in rats. We used a conditioned lick suppression model in which lick suppression was associated with the perception of high frequency sound resembling tinnitus and a suppression ratio (SR) was calculated by comparing the number of licks in the 15-s period preceding the stimulus presentation (A) and the 15-s period during the stimulus presentation (B), i.e., SR = B/(A + B). Acoustic trauma resulted in a significant increase in the auditory brainstem-evoked response (ABR) threshold in the affected ear (P≤ 0.0001) and a decrease in the SR compared to sham controls in response to 32 kHz tones in five out of eight acoustic trauma-exposed animals. A 5-mg/kg dose of memantine significantly reduced the proportion of these animals which exhibited tinnitus-like behavior (2/5 compared to 5/5; P ≤ 0.006), suggesting that the drug reduced tinnitus. These results suggest that memantine may reduce tinnitus caused by acoustic trauma.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      I thought I would mention this - ketamine, a drug often taken recreationally, is an antagonist that blocks NMDA receptors. So is AM-101...

If NMDA antagonists could reduce "chronic" tinnitus, why then AM-101 can only be used up to 3 months since onset?

And by the way, I know it's for greater good, but I think intentionally causing acoustic trauma in rats is kind of cruel :(

• Like Like x 1
    3. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Seeing as this 3 year old thread was recently necro'd, I thought this would be a perfect opportunity to share a link I bookmarked many moons ago:

Memantine completely cured my tinnitus!

Interesting that Memantine/Namenda cured his Celexa/citalopram drug induced tinnitus albeit temporarily. His T returned when he continued dosing another antidepressant Tianeptine.

• Like Like x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    4. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      Has anybody tried Memantine?

5. markoana

markoana Member

Tinnitus Since:
    6. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Anyone tried this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    7. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      • Like Like x 1
    8. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Abstract from a clinical study on Memantine called "Tinnitus Treatment with Memantine" (i.e., Namenda).

Authors: Figueiredo RR, Langguth B, Mello de Oliveira P, Aparecida de Azevedo A.

Affiliations: OTOSUL-Otorrinolaringologia Sul-Fluminense, Volta Redonda and Valenca, Brazil; Valenca Medical School, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Publication date & source: 2008-04, Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg., 138(4):492-6.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate efficacy and safety of memantine in the treatment of tinnitus.

STUDY DESIGN: Prospective, randomized, double-blind crossover study.

SUBJECTS AND METHODS: A total of 60 patients with tinnitus were randomized into a double-blind, placebo-controlled, prospective crossover study. Patients each received up to 20 mg memantine and placebo for 90 days, separated by a 30-day washout period. Treatment effects were assessed by using the Tinnitus Handicap Inventory (THI). A total of 43 patients completed the trial.

RESULTS: There was no significant improvement of THI score after memantine treatment compared with placebo. A possible tendency for delayed effects of memantine was observed. The incidence of side effects during memantine treatment was 9.4 percent, leading to interruption of treatment in all cases.

CONCLUSION: This study does not provide evidence to recommend memantine for the treatment of tinnitus. A possible late effect of the drug should be evaluated in further studies with longer observation periods.

9. Poyraz

Poyraz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzos, Stress, Anxiety, Loud Music, Jaw Problems. Who knows
      And there goes my hopes away...
      What kind of hell is this? Why God..

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. adrian_em

adrian_em Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firearm
      You will habituate. My ears are screaming and I'm fine now 3 months after acoustic trauma. Until a cure will be found, go to Back to silence thread and read.

11. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Been doing that and still waiting for silence.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      Hi Ears Hurt
      Can I ask how long have you been taking this drug? No reduction in tinnitus, even a bit?

13. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2013
      Why all tinnitus drug trials are unsuccessful??

14. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Finding a drug to cure Tinnitus, is like finding a needle in a haystack! Actually, That would be easier.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Kyxwz
      No Mood

Kyxwz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      x
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      x
      I believe that the "selectivity of the sample" is a problem. Different sounds, different damage at different levels, different people, different tinnitus.
      I don't know if for everyone the tinnitus it's just a neural damage. For me there is a sort of particular that still escapes. What is, no one knows.

In my case: acoustic trauma - hearing loss on high freq. for left hear - something wrong in my mind or also a damage to the synapses of the auditory nerve - tinnitus.
      For example... I think that if my hearing came back perfect I imagine that tinnitus would remain. I think it is no longer a problem of hair cells. This is the begin but after...
      After all no one deafen with their tinnitus. There are people with a 90 decibels of tinnitus. But it does not worsen hearing. So where is this sound? Certainly does not pass from the ear.

16. Emanuel Lourenco
      Depressed

Emanuel Lourenco Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure, repeatedly worsened by the great mystery T
      @Kyxwz

Yeah sadly I'm inclined to feel the same... it starts with hearing loss but it remains due to brain plasticity I think... it's some connections that your brain makes and that's why the longer you have it the more likely it will remain forever...

17. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      I'm fairly sure I commented on one of the other Memantine threads... I took this for about a month.

It's probably one of the strongest drugs I tried (I tried a lot! Maybe Pramipexole was harder..) as far as other side effects, and certainly makes you feel like you're on another planet aha. As for tinnitus - no change.