Drummer Producer with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Jinlako, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Jinlako

Jinlako Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      many years but increasingly worse
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drummer
      Hi there,

I'm a drummer producer who last week had a loud accident in the studio and now my tinnitus is out of control. I couldn't sleep much last night and I'm now super worried about my job and prospects.

I hope it will fade over time. I have lurked a bit on the forum and find it very useful and interesting how people cope.

How is people's experience with accidental loud noise for a brief moment; does it usually fade or am I stuck with this sound now?

2. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Well, your job isn't exactly tinnitus friendly. In all honestly I'd say if you stay there there's a very, very slim chance that it'll fade. Not saying impossible, but very unlikely. Tinnitus does fade or get better for most, that's an undeniable fact. But the truth is just there's no way to know. I'd suggest taking it easy at work, or using way better protection.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jinlako

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drummer
      Thanks for the realistic reply. I have used earplugs lately and hopefully it won't get worse as long as I use the earplugs. I automatically play less loud now for fear of making it worse.

I think my tinnitus is from loud clicktracks in the studio to be honest so I will try to use earplugs there as well.

But for now I will need a little break and hopefully get it normalised and feel less stressed. Music production I can do pretty quiet so hopefully that won't be affected so much.

What kind of masking noises do people use for sleeping? I tried an app Calm and I found it a little too loud or intrusive with streams and bird noises.

Weirdly I find it useful to sleep with earplugs that block sounds as my partner snores. This kinda helps as my breathing and general internal sounds gets loud and helps masking the tinnitus. Maybe something other people will find useful.

4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Jinlako.

I agree with the advice AnthonyMcDonald has given you.

Since you have had tinnitus for many years and it has now increased, you need to be very careful not to make it worse. The truth of the matter is, loud sound and noise induced tinnitus, which is what you have, do not go well together. Some people believe wearing earplugs will prevent this type of tinnitus from getting worse from external sounds but unfortunately, this is not the case.

If external sound is loud enough it will pass through the head and transfer to the inner ear by bone conduction which can spike the tinnitus. If you are fortunate the spike might be temporary and the tinnitus will reduce to its previous baseline level.

However, the spike could increase the tinnitus to a new permanent level - in addition to this there is the risk of developing variable tinnitus. This condition mostly affects people that already have noise induced tinnitus and habituated to it for a year or more and suddenly the tinnitus has spiked. The spike or series of them are usually caused by further noise exposure that has irritated the auditory system. Listening to audio through headphones, earbuds or headsets even at low volume can cause it too.

Please be aware variable tinnitus is usually a more severe form of noise induced tinnitus and can be especially difficult to habituate to. Sorry to sound so sobering but you need to be very careful about what you're doing regarding exposure to loud sounds. Please click on the link below and read my post: Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus?

A person with tinnitus that wears earplugs while asleep is not a good idea for many reasons. Please go to my started threads and read the following post where more is explained about this: New to Tinnitus, What to Do? Tinnitus, A Personal View, Hyperacusis, As I See It, The Habituation Process, How to Habituate to Tinnitus.

I wish you well,

Michael

Can I Habituate to Variable Tinnitus? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

5. Joe Cuber
      Angry

Joe Cuber Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Gradual hearing loss + a huge amount of stress
      Sounds like you found something that works for you. For me, if I wore earplugs at night, I'd hear my tinnitus more, maybe because mine tends to be high-pitched. My tinnitus is primarily in my right ear. I listen to nature sound videos played either on a home device on my nightstand or a pillow speaker in my pillow. I use the home device on my more quiet days. On my loud days, I lay my right ear on or near the pillow speaker. I prefer river, fountain, rain, or cricket sounds.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jinlako

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drummer
      Thank you Michael for sharing your extensive knowledge in a concise manor. And your post about habituation is really a description of my journey. Learning to deal with it and then get complacent. I’ve had a few accidents in the studio which caused the current spike. But I’m sure it doesn’t help I have COVID-19 on top. I wasn’t aware of variable tinnitus and I’m seriously considering maybe I should reconsider drumming.

What’s your take on music in general? I mix music and produce music. But this can be done at very low levels without issues in my case.

Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jinlako

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drummer
      That’s some great solutions. As I’m learning, earbuds is not a good idea in general so maybe I should get a little speaker next to my bed.

Thanks for answering.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Jinlako,

Thank you for your kind comments, they are much appreciated.

I understand your interest and passion for music as I am an Audiophile. As long as you mix music through speakers at a comfortable listening level you should have no problems. I advise that you don't listen to audio through any type of headphones even at low volume, as you risk making the tinnitus worse.

If you are able to stop playing drums, I think it will be a step in the right direction and hopefully give your ears and auditory system time to heal. I have corresponded with musicians that have developed tinnitus. Some are able to continue playing in a band others are not. It is a decision only you can make but in my opinion, I don't think it's worth taking such a risk, because I know how debilitating tinnitus can be when it reaches severe levels.

One is really playing Russian roulette with their health when subjecting themselves to loud noise.

All the best,
      Michael

9. Andrei88
      No Mood

Andrei88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      If you have no pain, then there is still hope! Wear good musician's earplugs, but for now give your ears a rest. Try Magnesium supplement, it may or may not help.

But for now you have to rest your ears. Before I blew my ears up, I would have tinnitus for a day or two every time after band practice. Then one day it just kept ringing, and in that state I went and played drums, bam, when I hit that cymbal my ears went nuts, excruciating pain, lasted for weeks! I could not talk or listen to anything for many weeks.

So all I am saying is you must listen to the warning signs your body is giving you and rest those ears for as long as needed.