Drumming and Tinnitus — Should I Drop It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by bwspot, Dec 16, 2014.

1. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      Before I got T I used to drum 2-3 times a week on my electronic drumming set.
      It is not as loud as real drums, but you hear a lot of tapping against the rubber drum together with the actually drum sounds over the headsets. I used to drum with the 80-90% volume set for the headsets.
      Now I am worried that this might be too loud and can piss off the T.
      If i go to 50% I am forced to hear both the tapping against the rubber and the headsets.

Can i even drum? Should i quit?
      I am not a professional drummer. It was all strict hobby.

thx

2. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      No. Don't quit. Get good isolating head phones and keep the volume low.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      @bwspot As a drummer you're probably aware of Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich. He's had severe hearing loss and tinnitus since the 80s from not using protection and is still drumming to this day. Proper protection is key. Either a strong attenuating plug of at least 26dB, over ear protection like Motorhead drummer Mikkey Dee uses or both to be sure.

4. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I agree with those above: do not give up something you love (unless its a dire necessity). I sang with a large choir and gave it up for my first year with T. Now I am more confident and am back. My tinnitus is no louder or softer. I do, however, wear musicians ear plugs and take breaks during our very long rehearsals (three hours weekly, with only a 10 minute intermission).

5. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I would give it up...get a new hobby, you never know if it's going to make things worse. And if it does get worse, you may loose more than a hobby. You may loose your life completely. I wouldn't risk my life for a hobby. Just my opinion, that's all.

6. Greg Clarke

Greg Clarke Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, Live Music
      From one musician to another - Don't give up! Just be as careful as you can. Tinnitus is unpredictable, you could avoid everything you enjoy and still get an increase.

Obviously I wouldnt recommend playing 8 hrs a day, just be sensible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Marcini
      Dreaming

Marcini Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      Exactly. I have been to hundreds of loud nights out since T. I used protection and never had an increase. The only thing that did seem to bring on an increase was a lot of stress.