Dull Eardrum?

Discussion in 'Support' started by geg1992, Sep 30, 2015.

1. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Hi all,

Went to the doctor today for a final check up before my flight.

Inspected my ears as I've had a little bit of pain on and off and said everything looks fine except my eardrums look a bit dull.

On research, that suggests there is fluid behind the ear drum? It's too late to move my flight now and so It's either lose several thousand or fly and risk it. I don't know if this is for certain though and the doctor seemed to brush it off. Any experiences?

My ears feel crackly and sometimes pop, but don't feel overly blocked most of the time. Interesting to note that I have NO cold symptoms any more, just this problem with my ears. If I didn't find out about this 'dull eardrum' I'd be excited about flying, instead I'm confused what to do and stressing out, as this is probably the only opporutunity I will have to make this trip, and I've been so excited about it. Such awful timing. :(

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Hi,
      Try steam inhalation and towel and bowl of hot water to clear your tubes and nose and also get some mucous linctus from the chemist and that's all you can do for now and the chemist sell basic ear infection drops too.....have a lovely time lots of love glynis

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many thanks Glynis! I will try the steam inhalation. Just worry about the flight and increased T. Sudafed is illegal in Japan too so that's one of the recommended things to do gone.

4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Becham's do a mucous linctus and places like Tesco do there own and Loyds Chemist.
      The steam should work really well for you and even when get to your destination.
      Try do it twice a day if get the time....lots of love glynis

5. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      When I was doing my HBOT sessions the doctor before she put me in the tube told me I always had red ears or dull ears but I did not know what it meant so I just continued doing my HBOT and it had pressure changes but it was always okay , if there's no infection , or sinus problems it should be fine don't waste that trip to Japan bro , keep with you a nasal spray before landing
      And why is sudafed illegal in Japan?

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Oh really? Is HbOt similar to flying in terms of pressure changes? I can't take any nasal spray :( have you flown since??

Something to do with meth amphetamines I think hhahaa.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Seen a doctor for the 3rd time who said its just usual fluid in my ear left over from a cold. It doesn't seem like that but he said he'd still fly. I'm going for it. Get ready for me to moan afterwards.

• Like Like x 1
    8. uae96
      Thinking

uae96 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/14/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yeah it's the same but HBOT is very rapid in ascent and descent so it's a bit more dangerous while flying is very gradual don't worry bro just go for it , yes I've flown !! 9 hours flight to Spain for a few days then another flight to Portugal , I even started a thread like you cause I was worried everything was 100% fine make sure you always have you're fingers ready for blocking noise lol :p and for the flight I used noise canceling head phones and listen to music on low volume all the time it was good

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just got pain in my ear walking down the stairs which is worrying me. Hope it's just my anxiety but I'm gonna go for it.

10. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      What do you mean you can't take any nasal spray? if sudafed is forbidden, take sth else. There are numerous substances acting like the one sudafed contains. Or take sudafed in pills, works as well. Anything with pseudophedrine. Good luck! How long will the flight be?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ascent went ok, quite uncomfortable with the ear planes though.

The plane is very noisy though. 92db average.

Will foam plugs b okay when you have to consider turbulence? Will this stop my ears equalising?

12. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Last time I had foam plugs when the plane suddenly descended a bi even though it wasn't the landing yet. I felt instantly the pressure rising in the ears so I took the plugs out asap and it was ok. I 'd say don't sleep and be constantly cautious to be able to react just in case: Otherwise, no problems with small turbulence.

13. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Soooo? How was it ?? You don't appear here so I guess the flight was ok ?