Dysacusis (Hearing Distortion) etc.

Discussion in 'Support' started by SilverSpiral, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you have a history of noise exposure, loud mp3 players, cars, motorcycles, concerts. anything with loud noise?

2. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yeah, prior to getting dysacusis, I was using Bluetooth/wired earphones for the past few months. Volume was no more than 60%, in fact mostly just over 50%. I also didn't use them everyday. I'm currently having an internship, and my work desk is very close to air conditioning units. I was using the earphones to cover up the sounds of those things while at work.

My old T had basically subsided before this.

What are your thoughts?

3. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      @Hariz Nonis It was mild for me. And yes, it did go away.

4. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      what caused your old tinnitus?

is the internship work loud?

5. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's great. Hopefully things will only get better, for all of us

6. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know, I had ETD, and still do. I also watched a movie the day before it started. It had one of those ringing sounds in a scene as the characters were almost struck by lightning.
      It went away after a few months. I only started using headphones/earphones months after it went away too. In the beginning, I didn't wear them a lot.

Well, the air conditioning units are not quiet, that's for sure. I also made a few loud noises with my friends, sometimes in the lift, a few times before getting in my current situation. We sometimes screamed at each other, etc., just for fun. I don't know if this is significant, but during my internship period(only for three days though), I ate lunch in the office while wearing earphones.

7. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      i only use headphones seldomly now. I use to use them almost always and never on high volumes.

Tinnitus is the brain compensating for a loss of hearing, hearing does not naturally regenerate. The tinnitus will fade due to unknown mechanisms in the brain but the hearing damage is still present and since the inner ear is damaged, the second time it gets damaged the tinnitus can come back and or get worse.

8. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Do you think things can get better for me now?

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      did you get tested for hearing loss? ;)

10. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Well, the doctor I visited recently did a Weber and Rinne test on me. For the Weber test, my right side(the affected side) picked up more of the sound, which might indicate conductive hearing loss. ETD might play a part in it. I'll link my most recent thread. You can read through all the mesaages and tell me what you think, including if things can/will get better. Hopefully it will, soon.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/is-my-respiratory-system-causing-the-ringing-i-hear.32703/

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      if you were around very loud noise for an extended period of time that will result in Sensori-neural. Conductive hearing loss can also generate tinnitus.

Can the conductive hearing loss be fixed?

12. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don't know if my usage of the earphones were for an extended period, though... I don't think it was. Except for last week, I've used them at no more than 65% volume for no more than 120 mins in a single day, if I can remember. Even last week, I didn't use them non-stop.

Well I'm going see an ENT on the 27th. Hopefully they'll say it can be fixed if it is conductive, and the cause is something minor.

13. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      @SilverSpiral I made a thread here that details everything I'm going through: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...something-else-please-help.32972/#post-400951

It sounds like I have what you have. It's a sort of whistling/beeping/rattling noise that kind of "combines" with other noises I hear, leading to distortion of them. I had something similar in the past, but nowhere this bad. It just kind of went away, but this time it doesn't seem to be, at least not yet. I'm doing my best to not panic and to figure out the best way to deal with it. I'd appreciate any insight you or others could give me, having dealt with it for so long.

• Informative Informative x 1
    14. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      I have TTTS (pressure and a vibrating sensation in my ear from loud, high-pitched noises) and PET (being able to hear my voice in my ear). Both tend to come and go, as has this distortion or "Dysacusis" or whatever you want to call it. Perhaps there is a link between all these conditions?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      @vermillion

You’re truly not alone here, trust me. I feel absolutely no progress either, only constant assaults on my ears which make this progressively difficult to cope with. It feels like some sick game where we are being tested to see how much we can endure... very very cruel. Big hugs to you, I understand your pain, truly do xx

• Hug Hug x 1
    16. Mellow7

Mellow7 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's what I was wondering back then as well. I'm not able to give a definite conclusion though. I still have random bouts of PET (but very mildly - usually limited to hearing my own breath and amplified nasal tones) and have TTTS. I also still have the dysacusis but it fluctuates. There is no day the same as the one before on that front. In the beginning I found this one of the most difficult aspects of my tinnitus, but after a while I thought it was less bothersome because it seems as if it is coming from an external source. Somehow, psychologically, that helped me care less about it (even though I know it is generated purely in the brain).

17. Vukis

Vukis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI or ototoxic drugs
      Hi Vicki, did yours dysacusis gone away after one year?

18. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Do you mean hyperacusis? ;)

19. Vukis

Vukis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI or ototoxic drugs
      No I mean that feeling when the ears are reacting to cars, fan, kettle sounds whit additional whistling sound. This is dysacusis

20. Vicki14
      Panicky

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Ah ok! Haven’t heard of that one! I’ve recently had a noise trauma to my left ear and it’s VERY reactive to noise plus I have pain. Is this something you have?

21. Vukis

Vukis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI or ototoxic drugs
      No, my issue, is a bit different, good luck

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      So you also have dysacusis?

23. Vukis

Vukis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI or ototoxic drugs
      yes, started one week ago, I dont know or from stress or from meds, tried in July one week gabapentin, I hope that it will subside, how i see for most people it has gone. How is your? Still loud? How long?

24. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Mine never subsided. The contrary I can say. It's true that many people's subsided and yes, meds can be a factor. I have it for a more than two years.

• Hug Hug x 2
    25. Vukis

Vukis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      MRI or ototoxic drugs
      what caused dysacusis to you? what about habituation?

26. lauracolle
      Inspired

lauracolle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017. H since 09/2019.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJD/stress/unknown. No noise exposure.
      I'm experiencing exactly the same since about a month. How's yours now?

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      How are you doing now? I also can’t listen to music because of distortion, it’s like things are not felt when listening. Everything is flat or dull.

28. HootOwl

HootOwl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explanation in About You
      @SilverSpiral

Did things every improve for you? We have extremely similar symptoms but it looks like you haven’t been on for quite some time.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. Gordon Steinberg

Gordon Steinberg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/25/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Loud Noise
      Hi all. Did any of you have improvement? I am going through the same thing 17 days after Ana ccpauric trauma where all white noise also has another pitch or tone built in, so for example my shower, a/c unit etc seem to have this extra tone on top of their original noise.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Hi Laura, @HootOwl, how are you guys doing now? I am 7 weeks into this fresh hell. Distortion seems to come and go. It definitely is not always present, but present more often than not. I'm interested in understanding the physiology of this condition a bit better, so I can contextualize it within the therapies currently in pipeline. It's always easier to cope if at some point you have some chance at resolution.