Ear Crackling Help

Discussion in 'Support' started by baz 22, Apr 2, 2016.

1. baz 22
      Alone

baz 22 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Hi Everyone, so I got a new problem. I have developed a very loud ear crackling sounds every time I swallow now and sometimes when i yawn.

Its really annoying especially since its loudest in my non T ear. This has been going on 2 weeks now, I went to the doc and got some nose spray to use for 10 days, so far no change.

Also i can seem to make my T ear crackle by manipulating my jaw.

Any idea how to get rid of this?

2. Mithrandir
      Ape-like

Mithrandir Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Shock Disorder (TTTS)
      Prednisone helps me for crackling, maybe it's a ETD problem in my case ? good luck

3. Jason_Cohen

Jason_Cohen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      A lot of people with tinnitus end up being able to hear their Eustachian tubes crackle when yawning/swallowing. It's one of those many sounds our bodies make that we can normally tune out. I started hearing the crackling about a month after my tinnitus started, and it's pretty much stayed the same. It can be incredibly frustrated dealing with all of the annoying "side effects" that come along with tinnitus.

Otherwise, nose sprays can take 2-3 months until you start noticing any results, so I'd suggest doing that. You can also try steam inhalation to thin the mucus in your Eustachian tubes.

4. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Had a slight sore throat the past few days, and today its pretty much gone, but now today have a runny nose with some blockage, sneezing, slight watery eyes. My left ear started to crackle when I swallow and yawn. Also feels like it can't equalize pressure properly. I've had this when my T first started for a couple of months.. First time it's come back. I'm sure it's because I've got a small cold or flu or something and is connected with the previous soreish throat. I wonder if I should have a doctor look into my ear and check for fluid.
      Just another day in T world. Lol

5. Mat V

Mat V Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14 years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music through ipod
      Wait so nose sprays do help?

6. SleeplessSoul
      Insomnious

SleeplessSoul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      What is the crackling from? I have it too when I am digesting food and air comes up my throat.
      Mine started after a hearing test where there was too much pressure applied with the acoustic reflex test three months ago. Can it ever go away?

Anyone?

7. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Ear crackling whilst swallowing and yawning is normal, and is nothing to do with tinnitus. It's just the sound of your Eustachian tube/s opening. If you have allergies it's likely it'll be worse/louder because of the extra mucus.

Basically each time you swallow or yawn the pressure in your middle ear is equalised. The crack is the sound of the tube opening.

I've had this my entire life, and you'll find pretty much everyone has it to a degree. The difference is that you are now hyper aware of everything relating to your ears, whereas your average guy on the street isn't.

If you have pressure issues on top of this, or it's particularly bad, then you may have ETD. Otherwise it's nothing to worry about.

• Agree Agree x 1