Ear Infection and Louder Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris M, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Chris M
      Bashful

Chris M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Has anyone experienced louder tinnitus associated with an ear infection or a sinus infection?

I have been dealing with tinnitus for almost two years now and it seems to have gotten louder in my right ear. It’s high pitched.

My ears were clogged and hearing muffled until I started antibiotics (Ceftin).

I wonder when my tinnitus will get quieter...

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. IsLifeOver?
      Suicidal

IsLifeOver? Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think I'm currently going through an infection or wax buildup in my left ear. I have noticed that the tinnitus in my left ear is noticeably more louder/stranger than my right ear. I would assume that it would make it worse, mostly because of the irritation, blockage, "fluid movement", and so on. Wax buildup and ear infection is known to cause temporary tinnitus and hearing loss. Permanent if not treated or ignored too long. All though if treated properly when noticed, I think it should be okay and your tinnitus should go back to it's relatively normal stage.

Please go see a hearing doctor and get that checked out and soon as possible! I am going to see a hearing doctor in a day as well. Good luck Chris M!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      Ear infections will make your tinnitus louder. You may need an antibiotic ear drop and an oral antibiotic.

I never had tinnitus until an ear infection and it went unnoticed or uncared for by a doctor. But it did settle down to a mild ringing once the infection cleared.

Unfortunately 2 months later I had an ear infection again same ear. But I was given an antibiotic nasal spray plus all the other antibiotics. This time it caused hearing loss.

My suggestion is you make an appointment to get it cleared as quickly as possible.

4. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yes, temporarily. I didn't take antibiotics fyi.