Ear Pain from Walking in a Park with Earplugs — Was Bone Conduction of My Footsteps the Cause?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Christine2222, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Christine2222

Christine2222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi all,

I have been dealing with hyperacusis for a few months following an MRI. I went for a walk recently with earplugs in a park for an hour and had ear pain afterwards. It seems like the bone conduction of my footsteps irritated my ear. I did have them in fairly deep so the occlusion effect should have been at a normal level.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any feedback on if walking at a normal pace with earplugs would typically damage one's ears?

How do you guys manage to stay active with earplugs?

2. Croaker
      Haunting

Croaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019 T, 04/2020 H
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones/Car Alarm/Immune Response?
      When my H started my ear canals were sensitive to touch. Earplugs were uncomfortable to put in. So your discomfort could come from that rather than the noise. Also, suction from removing them improperly can be very irritating. When I go on walks I carry light earmuffs to throw on just in case.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I use earmuffs more often than ear plugs. The foam plugs do cause some discomfort especially in one ear. I plan to get customized ones, hopefully they are better.

4. xyz
      Alienated

xyz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2006 mild T 2019 T worsening H onset
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown / probably noise induced
      Probably you can test that when you wear your earplugs in a quiet environment. If you still get ear pain, it's probably due to sensitised ear canals which I have, too. I can recommend silicone ear plugs. They are a bit less protective than the foam ones, but more comfortable for the ear. But in general I also use ear muffs more. However, for short durations (like showering) I use the foam ones to have better protection.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christine2222

Christine2222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks for the feedback everyone! I do think it is the occlusion effect after further review. It's a sign to always be careful as even hearing protection has risks involved.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Christine2222

Christine2222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      forever
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi guys,

I have been experiencing pain hyperacusis from the sound of my own voice when speaking quietly (low end of normal but above a whisper) for a few minutes. The irritation can linger afterwards for hours.

Does this pain mean that more ear damage is occurring? Logically I assume more pain = more damage.

7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      In theory, you cannot get ear damage from your own voice, at normal volume. Ear damage happens when ears are exposed to very loud sounds, sounds that bother other people too and that are high on the decibel scale.

8. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Is there any theories or scientific info regarding bone conduction?

I have some questions about it.

I have noticed it being mentioned from time to time but I don't know what the consensus is, if there is one.

Isn't it better than a loud external sound "hitting" the ear?

What happens if using hearing protection while getting dental work?

Is it better than none at all?

What about wearing ear plugs in a loud shower vs none?

Anyone have any answers?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    9. Jaysterk
      Blah

Jaysterk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neomycin
      This goes away for the most part.