Ear Plug Warning

Discussion in 'Support' started by jazz, Oct 24, 2014.

1. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Hi everyone!

Since Fall arrived, my neighborhood has become a noisy place with leaf blowers and mulchers constantly running for several hours a night. To protect myself, I'm wearing ear plugs whenever I venture into my yard so I'll be protected when the next leaf blower starts up.

That said, I've used Etymotic ER 20 plugs for almost two years and have been pleased with the protection they give me. But tonight I had an accident. I came in from the outside and removed the plugs, like always, but apparently the right plug had built up pressure in my ear canal. When I removed it (just popped it out like I always do), I felt a rush of pressure and heard a light pop. My ear canal immediately became sore, and now when I close my jaw I am hearing a noise--like a rubber band popping--as I bite down. I must've irritated ear drum from the plug removal.

I'm sure I'll be okay and am not panicking. But I'm keeping some ice on my ear. It's been three hours and my ear still hurts, even though I've taken two Tylenol. I wanted to inform everyone about my accident so that people will take precautions when they remove these types of ear plugs.

As for myself, I'm getting a customized pair made. I'll call around tomorrow.

BTW, if people are wearing this type of ear plug, you can probably prevent this accident by slowly twisting it before removal. That should release any pressure that might develop.

And, of course, I can't imagine pressure building up from foam plugs. They are totally safe. The plastic plugs, like Etymotic ER 20, are safe too, but you have to be careful upon removal.:)

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Hope you feel better quickly.:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Thanks everyone for your support! :) I am fine today....