Ear Plugs Help Needed

Discussion in 'Support' started by S.withnell, Jan 6, 2015.

1. S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all just want to know where can I buy good ear plugs from.
      I want to go to a concert end of the year and I want to make sure I protect my ears as well normally I don't and that's part of why I have t.
      I don't know what makes are good or where to buy them, I'm in England if that helps and if you have a website please can you post me a link ?
      Thank you

2. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi @S.withnell: If you go to the search field here at TT and put in "ear plugs," you will find lots of threads.
      You will need maximum decibel protection (30 db plus) for a concert. Also, get seats as far back as possible and do not go near the speakers. And take breaks during the concert: four or five songs in your seat, then a song or two in the lobby. Just my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you ladydi. I will look for that.
      Also there's never seats at these shows I go to.
      But my last one I did stay at the back and on,y a few songs at a time and went out and then missed the last half hour as I had enough, but my ears where already had t before this and silvered with a virus so I know it didn't help but I don't think it made it worst this time but I don't want to chance it again.m

Thank you I'll check as I need some where in England where I can get them from

4. OddV
      Assassinator

OddV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I can't read German so not sure what is what with those. But thank you. I want something that I onky need to use once in a blue moon, my gig days are other but I still have two bands I love to see when they around.

I don't need them any other time as I keep away from loud places

6. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I sing I choral groups so have Etymotics filtered musicians plugs so I can hear others around me.,Molded to my ears but expensive. For concerts I put in a solid high db plug plus, in some venues, ear muffs on top

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      By the way, @S.withnell: I think the most important thing is you ARE going back to concerts, as music is important to you. Many who are new to tinnitus are afraid (unnecessarily) to attend musical events or do other things they fear will harm them. By doing the things you love -- with proper precautions -- you are not letting tinnitus run your life. Good for you!

BTW: You might want to check out @Dr. Nagler's recent post on this exact subject (re concerts) in Doctors Corner.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      S.withnell
      Sleepy

S.withnell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks ladydi :) I won't let t ever stop me from doing what I love to do with life.
      That's why I want to make sure I just do the best to stop it getting worst. But I don't want to stop music completely.

I don't want to spend £££ though as I don't intend to be going to many gigs, so I only want a pair that will do the job for a short amount of time.

Is there any thing that is effective in the U.K?

9. s-viv
      Artistic

s-viv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concerts
      My remedy for concerts

Cheap 33 db foam(I use hearos, but any other are fine) and 3m earmuffs.

Yeah, it looks embarrassing but after you put them on and the show starts you forget about it.

Stand in the back and not the front.

\m/

10. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yes there are lots of threads on ear plugs. In a nutshell---Custom molded ear plugs are the best and most expensive. Customs are usually $100+. Cheap foam ones are also adequate providing you insert them properly and cost the least--just a few dollars. Some prefer musician type ear plugs that only block out more harmful frequencies and still allow you to hear voices and carry on a conversation. These are more mid-priced $10-75